What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early 1900-WW1 Krupp Fuse?

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi Guys,

Recently pickup this WW1 vintage fuse, which I initially thought was a Belgium "Fuse a percussion de campagne" used with the 8.7 cm gun / howitzer /mortar, and also with the 7.5 cm field gun.

Typically all Belgium fuses were stamped with the letters "EP" (Ecole de Pyrotechnie) - this one has no markings at all and therefore suspect non-Belgium?

The Krupp 8.7cm M1886 L/24 C/80 FK (also known as the 9cm Feldkanone C/80) was also used by Bulgaria, Turkey and of course Germany.

I would love to hear Members thoughts on this as to perhaps what period and even which country? (I assume we can rule out Belgium, but curious if these other countries may have also stamped their fuses, which may narrow down the selection)

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN4571.JPG
    DSCN4571.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN4572.jpg
    DSCN4572.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN4573.jpg
    DSCN4573.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 34
Hi Guys,

Recently pickup this WW1 vintage fuse, which I initially thought was a Belgium "Fuse a percussion de campagne" used with the 8.7 cm gun / howitzer /mortar, and also with the 7.5 cm field gun.

Typically all Belgium fuses were stamped with the letters "EP" (Ecole de Pyrotechnie) - this one has no markings at all and therefore suspect non-Belgium?

The Krupp 8.7cm M1886 L/24 C/80 FK (also known as the 9cm Feldkanone C/80) was also used by Bulgaria, Turkey and of course Germany.

I would love to hear Members thoughts on this as to perhaps what period and even which country? (I assume we can rule out Belgium, but curious if these other countries may have also stamped their fuses, which may narrow down the selection)

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Hi Drew,

It's VERY similar to the German Gr.Z.C/82, and I'll try to get a scan posted tomorrow.

Depotman

Hello Drew,

it is a prussian Feldgranatznder C/80. The C/82 is a little bit longer. It was used on many different shells.

Last edited:
Hi Depotman,

Yes it is similar to the Gr.Z.C/82, but there are some subtle differences and more closely resembles the Belgium type (see attached drawings). But even with the Gr.Z.C/82 there were a number of variations.

Actually comparing the drawings, the fuse seems to be a cross between the lower fuse socket of the Gr.Z.C/82 (perhaps the later "Mdlchf 88" & not the earlier Mdlchf 80 as shown) and the top of the Belgium fuse type......

Hi Stefan,

Great to hear from you!

Do you have a drawing or perhaps a photo of the prussian Feldgranatznder C/80?

Any thoughts on the period? (pre-1900?). I also was thinking German (Krupp) and perhaps late 1880's??

Another interesting observation is the fuse base thread is not "squared off" under the fuse head, it continues around, although it does fit squarely into the fuse socket. I'm not sure how common this was on the earlier fuses and may therefore differentiates it from the later ones? (1880s)

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN4585.JPG
    DSCN4585.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN4584.jpg
    DSCN4584.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
  • GR Z 82a.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 54
  • BelgiumFuseWW1a.pdf
    206.2 KB · Views: 32
Hi Stefan,

You are spot on there!

Thank you for the clarification and diagram.
Cheers
Drew

made just a small overview about most types of pre 1890s prussian fuzes for better size comparsion:

Attachments

• PrussianFuzesOverview.jpg
    PrussianFuzesOverview.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 78
Hi Stefan,

That's excellent! Makes it a lot easier to ID than the couple of basic drawings I have.

Thanks Mate
Cheers
Drew