What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early 88mm projectile?

DOLLAR

OK time I posted with a question?

I believe this to be an early 88mm projectile?

Please put me out of my misery and tell me exactly what it is?

$

BELTRING 2010 001 (600 x 450).jpg

BELTRING 2010 011 (600 x 450) (2).jpg

BELTRING 2010 005 (600 x 450).jpg

BELTRING 2010 009 (600 x 450).jpg

To me you have answered your own question buddy. :)
Is there a date stamped on it and any waff stamps?,also do you have the fuze for it?

best

waff

To me you have answered your own question buddy. :)
Is there a date stamped on it and any waff stamps?,also do you have the fuze for it?

best

waff

Can't remember if there's any date stamps on it but if I remember correctly there isn't.

As for waffenamt stamps? no there isn't.

In storage at the moment so I can't get to look at it. But I can see at the weekend as I'm going to Chatham and a mate can bring it along.

I have a few fuses but what is the correct one for it? And why painted red?

$

Not sure about the colour scheme bud,but i would have thought a Zzts/30 fuze if FLaK application?

cheers
waff

Hi Dollar,
Yes it seems to be right, the correct profile and copper bands. Not too sure about the colour though as the stencilling shows what looks like Ub W and that would make it a practice shell giving a smoke burst on impact and that would tie in with the thickness of the shell body, but the colour for that round is given as white, although drill rounds were painted red.
The screw in base would suggest a HE shell, but maybe that was used on more that just the standard HE.
A nice shell to have in your collection, quite jealous over here.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Dollar,
Yes it seems to be right, the correct profile and copper bands. Not too sure about the colour though as the stencilling shows what looks like Ub W and that would make it a practice shell giving a smoke burst on impact and that would tie in with the thickness of the shell body, but the colour for that round is given as white, although drill rounds were painted red.
The screw in base would suggest a HE shell, but maybe that was used on more that just the standard HE.
A nice shell to have in your collection, quite jealous over here.
Best regards Weasel.

Where is the info on the color from?

Hi EOD,
The information regarding the colour scheme is taken from Pamphlet No 15 German Ammunition Markings and Nomenclature
Appendix D Miscellaneous Shell Markings. The last in a series of 15 Pamphlets published by the war office 1940-1945
Best regards Weasel.

We have the same round AZ 23 fuze. But your color code is wrong ours is kind of a olive color. Same base look around the center of the round for very faint stamping

Weasel, there is something wrong with this description.

All colors mentioned here apply to German navy ammunition of different time periods.

Navy pre WWI:
white: practice projectile

Navy WWII and before:
red: practice projectile

Hi EOD,
Thank you for that info, the text from which i have taken the data does not make any mention of whether tables in this section relate to naval or land service ammunition.
What source are you using for your info as it would be good to have another reference in the library,
Best regards Weasel.

Weasel,

for the WWII ammo it is:

M.Dv.188/II-2 Kennzeichen und Farbanstrich der Geschosse, Teil 2, Heft 2, 1942

The color given there is RAL 2002 (red).
See the table of color standards here:
http://www.emobil-center.de/ral-farbtabelle.html

For the white prior to WWI it is:
Taschenbuch der Marine-Artillerie, 1877, by Helm

Great info guys.

Just too add a little more of what I know and it has been mentioned here.

Was told it was a training round? once fired it omitted smoke to show the gunners were it had landed? but then that could have been miles away, could they have seen it any way?

What value do these heads have?

$

Thank you EOD,
I will have a look in closer detail at these, Best regards Weasel.

Dollar, the German Navy had an estonishing array of separate practice charges for loading of TP projectiles. They often consistend of small bursting charges, flash compositions, red phosphorous or various colored dyes etc. All these were combined differently or sometimes several of them in one load container.
I would assume visibility was given in particular when the gunners were using optical devices for spotting - like in combat.

Since it is repainted and hard to establish what it really was the value might be not too high since the shells turned up in Europe by the truckload.

I agree with EOD, I had a look in the mdv 170 16 munition 8,8 cm schiff und kustenartillerie, and the mention that the coller for practice projectiles is red. also mentioned is 8.8 cm ubungs sprengpatrone 30 L 4,5 Ub W
so a practice projectile that produces a white cloud.