What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early automatic gun

magpie

large_000000 (1).jpg

Would anyone know what this is and the size of shell, I was thinking it must be something like 60mm.
Thanks, Andy

No doubt a Maxim, but it isn't in the catalogue of the period so it is likely a one of.
It rather looks like a 47mm , to figure out the round it would likely be best to
consider a Nordenfelt type as it looks to be more powerful than the equivalent
Hotchkiss. But if there was only one we may never know more. It was likely
frightfully expensive. The regular 1pr for comparison.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 2.36.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 2.36.56 AM.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far, I was looking at the length of the rounds being nearly up to his knee so thought of it being something like 5-6pr, makes you wonder what happened to it and if it worked or not.
Thanks, Andy :)

The thought did cross my mind that he might just be a very, very small man :wink:

But the pistol grip suggests probably not...

I think the man in the photo is Sir Hiram Maxim. Lots of photos on the net showing him with various of his inventions, and there are some similarities, although in most photos he is older looking with white hair and beard.