What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early German First war 15cm shrapnel shell ???

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_7785.jpgIMG_7786.jpgIMG_7790.jpgIMG_7792.jpgIMG_7783.jpgIMG_7793.jpgIMG_7795.jpgIMG_7796.jpg

Good evening,

I picked up this lovely piece today from a militaria fair, and think it may be an early First war 15cm German shrapnel shell? Although I'm not certain, the single driving band and the few stamped details on the base led me to this conclusion. The paint I'm certain is original owing to the rifling land marks on the upper part of the shell body. Base dia measures 150mm.
The base stamps are as follows: Crown monogram beside 20
DO
GG
Feint inspection mark, too feint to read
Inside, the shell has the typical recess for a tin cup pusher plate charge. The driving band is approx 18mm wide and lowest edge of band to base of shell is approx 22mm.
Any help in identifying this piece would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
D

Two models with this shape, 15cm Sch. 92 and 15cm Sch.07, not easy to make the difference as your example is damaged.
Model 1892 is fitted with a filling plug on top (as your shell is not complete, impossible to see this detail)

15cm sch 92.jpg15cm sch 07.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks MINENAZ16.
Ye, it did occur to me that the one thing which would help identify this shell is missing! I was hoping the stamps might point to a relatively firm ID, but agree with you, without the top section its hard to nail down....
Thank you for the potential candidates though!
Regards.