What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early M67 finishes and markings

GTR003121

Hello everyone. Today I had an M67 body come in with a horendous repaint. I have a friend who does custom powder coating and we have been talking about trying it out on the next poor condition grenade that comes in.

Anyway, while I was stripping off a layer of OD paint and a layer of Tan paint, I noticed that some of the original markings were still there under all that paint! The markings that are legible are "GRENADE, HAND, FRAG on the upper hemisphere and "9-69 COMP B PA-32" on the lower. There are traces of additional markings after "FRAG" on the upper hemisphere but not nearly enough to make out what it said. We would expect it to say "M67", but interestingly, there is a lot of space before traces of the next marking, which would imply that it said more than just "M67" after "FRAG". Also, the bottom hemisphere has what I assume is an early anodized coating.

I have never seen or heard of anodized or other electrolytic coatings on M67 bodies. Does anyone have an early M67 in their collection that they could show here? Or has anyone seen one like this or have any information on it?

I took the pic below. The markings are visible in normal light, but a Surefire LED flashlight really brought out the markings and color of the finish. I am very disapointed that the finish is only present on half of the body, but I'd rather have this than a repaint, no matter how good!

If anyone has a spare 60's dated M67, I have some nice trade material!!

Justin

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 80
The M67 Nomenclature Markings and arrangement seem to be standard throughout different eras. The font size seems to change slightly between different manufactures.

GRENADE, HAND, FRAG, DELAY, M67
5-73 COMP B LOT LS-56-506C

Stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• M67 001.jpg
    M67 001.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 30
  • M67 002.jpg
    M67 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 26
  • M67 003.jpg
    M67 003.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 26
The PA marking on the lower side stands for Picatinny Arsenal, Dover NJ.

I searched my records, but could only retrieve info that PA made MK III, M26 and M217 Fuzes, not the M67's (but my records are far from complete).

The PA marking on the lower side stands for Picatinny Arsenal, Dover NJ.

I searched my records, but could only retrieve info that PA made MK III, M26 and M217 Fuzes, not the M67's (but my records are far from complete).

That's helpful actually, I never knew the letters represented the arsenal. I missed a number too, it's PA-32-3. Do all the letters at the beginning of lot numbers represent the arsenal of manufacture? My M26 is an OA, I have an LS M67 and an MA M67 can. Do you/anyone know what those ones are? I am still very curious about the finish on it. Never seen one that wasn't painted. It looks amazing in person, I hope I can find a nicer one someday with the coating intact. I wonder if PA is the only one that did that.

Last edited:
It came with an M217 as well, maybe it was an original set from Picatinny Arsenal. Heres a couple pics.

Attachments

• DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00153.jpg
    DSC00153.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hi Justin, M217 very cool, Well done. LS = Lone Star Ordnance Plant, and OA = Ordnance Associates Inc. South. If the fuze is original to the body it would be an M59. Cheers

Hi Justin, M217 very cool, Well done. LS = Lone Star Ordnance Plant, and OA = Ordnance Associates Inc. South. If the fuze is original to the body it would be an M59. Cheers

Thanks Colin! Shows how much I know about lot #'s. Yeah it would be an M59, or an M68 with no jungle clip. I just was amazed by the finish and Id never seen this small font nomenclature before.

That's helpful actually, I never knew the letters represented the arsenal. I missed a number too, it's PA-32-3. Do all the letters at the beginning of lot numbers represent the arsenal of manufacture? My M26 is an OA, I have an LS M67 and an MA M67 can. Do you/anyone know what those ones are? I am still very curious about the finish on it. Never seen one that wasn't painted. It looks amazing in person, I hope I can find a nicer one someday with the coating intact. I wonder if PA is the only one that did that.

Kiwicolin already explained the OA and LS codes.

The MA code stands for Milan Army Ammo Plant, Milan,TN. They issued M26 and M67 grenades.

Regarding the coatings/finishings on the nades i can't help you.

Kiwicolin already explained the OA and LS codes.

The MA code stands for Milan Army Ammo Plant, Milan,TN. They issued M26 and M67 grenades.

Regarding the coatings/finishings on the nades i can't help you.

Thank you for the information. Good to have an idea of who manufactured what.

J

It came with an M217 as well, maybe it was an original set from Picatinny Arsenal. Heres a couple pics.

Most likely it was a complete unit from Picatinny. They were known to manufacture early test runs of items and since they had complete assembly lines could do what they needed.

Over the years we have found many discarded incinerator piles on the Arsenal that contained portions of M217 fuzes (mostly with red painted levers) that had been burned for disposal.

Additionally, Picatinny was where the Army Research Lab did some of their design and testing on the M67 trying different paint compositions and grip material to make the grenade easier to throw. They also tested "new" designs of grenades to see what might work. When I get back to the office in a few weeks I will photograph some of the weird test bodies they have produced.

Most likely it was a complete unit from Picatinny. They were known to manufacture early test runs of items and since they had complete assembly lines could do what they needed.

Over the years we have found many discarded incinerator piles on the Arsenal that contained portions of M217 fuzes (mostly with red painted levers) that had been burned for disposal.

Additionally, Picatinny was where the Army Research Lab did some of their design and testing on the M67 trying different paint compositions and grip material to make the grenade easier to throw. They also tested "new" designs of grenades to see what might work. When I get back to the office in a few weeks I will photograph some of the weird test bodies they have produced.

Wow, great info! I would have loved to have been able to scavenge those parts piles! I'm sure I'm not the only who will be looking forward to pics of some different test bodies! Thanks!

Hi Justin. Youve obviously focused on high end grenades and have some fantastic specimens there. I have a couple of lemons myself, but have never managed to pick up an M217 fuze or an M26 of that quality. Well done. Cheers

Thanks Colin! You have some incredible pieces yourself, and that's just the small portion that Ive seen! I can't imagine what's tucked away :) And a couple of my favorite items are thanks to you sir!