What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early MK1 Tank component ????....

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_8341.jpgIMG_8342.jpgIMG_8345.jpgIMG_8344.jpgIMG_8349.jpg

Good morning,

An incredibly long shot this one....
Whilst on a circular walk around and through the village of Flers, France, recently, I came across this rusty old component.
I had stopped on a long farmer's track, (known as 'Green Lane' during the Great war) to read up about the tank advance which took place there in Sept 1916. Very close to where I stood, British Mk1 Tank 'D9' came a cropper, heavily shelled and put out of action.
When I went to move off again, I discovered this part was lying next to me in the grass, amongst some relic shells, having been discarded by the farmer when ploughing his field.
I began to consider the possibility that it might (being the operative word!) have been part of that Tank, D9.
It's a very long shot, and may not be such a part at all, but taking into account its level of deteriation, the way it has bent with the bevelled gear missing its teeth on the concave side (suggesting a heavy blow or blast) and its location...??

I emailed Bovington tank museum for assistance, and initially the library dept was quite helpful. But today received a reply to the effect "We can't confirm whether it is or not due to its state. If you have other item's we might be able to help".
Can't help but think the author of that email couldn't really be bothered to look into it. Yet, earlier they'd asked if I'd be willing to donate it??
I can't see how the 'state' of this piece is going to prevent identification. After all, they have a Mk1 in the collection.

I'd appreciate any pointers, suggestions or thoughts any members might have, good or bad.
Many thanks in advance.
D

I can be of no help I regret, but, like you, if I had found this piece I would have made a similar connection. It sounds so logical. Yes, maybe from a tractor but maybe not....so well done (in advance). Look forward to hearing more.

Unfortunately Bovington is run as a business first and foremost these days. Haynes of car repair manual fame do a manual for the MK4 tank. It has some diagrams in, but not sure how good. One on eBay for a fiver plus post.
Cheers Tig.

I can be of no help I regret, but, like you, if I had found this piece I would have made a similar connection. It sounds so logical. Yes, maybe from a tractor but maybe not....so well done (in advance). Look forward to hearing more.

Many thanks flak18,
You're the only person who has said they would make a similar connection so far. Like you say, it may be a tractor part, but may not.... I'm inclined to pursue this till I've exhausted all channels, just in case it does turn out to be the real thing. Lots of ?????? but well worth looking into I believe. I will certainly keep you posted as I go along.
Cheers!

Unfortunately Bovington is run as a business first and foremost these days. Haynes of car repair manual fame do a manual for the MK4 tank. It has some diagrams in, but not sure how good. One on eBay for a fiver plus post.
Cheers Tig.
Thanks tigbrand,
Thats the impression I got from the museum too, sadly. It's a great museum, although the 'almost same day response' to say they were unable to confirm whether it was a tank part due to the 'state' it's in left me thinking that they'd no inclination to even consider investigating. I believe they have a complete Mk1 Tank on display? Surely it wouldn't be impossible to survey that to see if this part 'might' have been present?
I've been advised to take it down there personally, which I will do. Some of the archive/collection's personnel seem relatively interested.

As for the book, I have a copy already, and have scoured it for any pointers, but I appreciate the heads up, so thank you. As mentioned to flak18, I'll keep searching till an answer is found, good or bad.
Cheers!

Globally there are quite a few tank and artillery museums, most of which do restoration works and attract a staff and volunteers of very knowledgeable enthusiasts - I would suggest emailing them all and request the recipient show your images to their 'WWI tank expert' for an opinion.

Hi adrian,
Many thanks. This was going to be my next approach. I'll give Bovington another nudge, having been given another name there, then spread the net so to speak.
Cheers!

it's a worm drive, if you need a description of the threading, the gear end is the drive and the shaft would operate some thing to open or close, might find the threads are left hand and right hand.

Visited a friend recently and he showed me these bits, we are pretty sure they are parts from a WW1 MK1 tank. A few were taken from Bovington and used as targets on the heath prior to D Day. The large plate is wrought iron and shows impact from a large shell and a hole from a 20mm or similar. This was probably an internal bulkhead, the other smaller plate is obviously quality steel and is possibly a hatch from the engine compartment, note condition compared to other plate, small piece is ally with steel and shows traces of green paint as the others do in a few patches. There is talk that the tracks are nearby somewhere buried. The spring has been blown apart. As per Starshells image,an ID would be great. These may be looking for a new home and need preserving and gentle restoration. Cheers Tig.

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_133104.jpg
    IMG_20221015_133104.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221015_133236.jpg
    IMG_20221015_133236.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20221015_132855.jpg
    IMG_20221015_132855.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20221015_133530.jpg
    IMG_20221015_133530.jpg