What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early U.S. 3-inch stuff...

shelldude

John (HAZORD) had inquired recently about any early U.S. inert 3-inch ordnance I have. Here is a photograph of some of my early 3-inch stuff that I thought the group might find interesting. Left to Right;

3-inch Hotchkiss Mountain Howitzer BD common HE shell. Casing is UMC manufactured, dated 7-98.
3-inch Naval Landing Gun BD common HE MK III Mod 5 shell. Casing is GMC manufactured, dated 1917.
3-inch Field Gun BD common HE shell.
3-inch Field Gun shrapnel with M1907 Time/Percussion fuze.
3-inch Field Gun HE (High Capacity) shell with Mk V PD fuze.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 104
Randall,

Really nice bullets! Hey how about a photo of just the projos in the same order, and a photo and measurement of the Hotchkiss Case and headstamp? I'm unfamiliar with that one.

Do you have a manual of drawings of the ammo for the Hotchkiss?

Thanks,

John

Hello John,

Here's a couple photographs of the 3-inch Hotchkiss Mountain Gun casing base. It's factory inscribed "U.M.C. Co. - BRIDGEPORT CONN. U.S.A. - 7-98
There's also a hand inscribed notation: FROM ED STANLEY - TO W R MCGEACHIN - OCT 1905 - CAVITE PI

These guns were used in the Philippines so I've always thought this is a neat addition to the casing.

I don't have an ammunition manual covering the types of projectiles used. I've found VERY LITTLE reference information regarding the gun.

Rim diameter: 89mm
Casing length :154mm

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Randall! Does the projectile have identification stamped into it? Is there info somewhere about the 3 inch Hotchkiss Mt Howitzer? How does the 3inch Hotchkiss projo compare to the 3 inch LG projo?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
I would have to think that any shell from the Phillipine Insurrection or the Span-Am war would be highly desireable...Dano

Dano,

Just finding information about what the U.S. was using between the Civil War and WWI is highly desireable. Being able to find and have an example is even better!

Hello John & Dano,

There's a website: www.spanamwar.com that has some good information about the 3-inch Hotchkiss Mountain Howitzer. Scroll down to the "Weapons Profile" and then find the 3-inch howitzer. I typed in the incorrect casing length too. It measures 159mm.

Take care,

Randall

P.S. - The projectile is TOTALLY unmarked.

Last edited:
Hello John,

Here is an impromptu photograph of the 3-inch Hotchkiss Mountain Howitzer BD common projectile (left) compared to the 3-inch LG MK III Mod 5 BD common projectile (right).

Take care,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 42