What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elaz 17A or B

satan18

Hi To all

Once again i find myself with a teaser that i want to get to the bottom of.

This is identical to my 17A fuses but there is no remains of any ink stampings what so ever on the top and it is plain with the only bit of stamping around the switch block.

Were the clocks inside dimentionally the same or is there any tell tail differences.

Best

Attachments

• More 17A fuses 004.jpg
    More 17A fuses 004.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 54
  • More 17A fuses 003.jpg
    More 17A fuses 003.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 71
My guess old chap that this is a polished type 17B?
I would have thought because it is an emergency pattern one,then the internals were cobbled together cheaper than the more successful 'A' variant?
Im sure ive read somewhere that the 'B' weren't as a good performer than its predesessor?

W

My guess old chap that this is a polished type 17B?
I would have thought because it is an emergency pattern one,then the internals were cobbled together cheaper than the more successful 'A' variant?
Im sure ive read somewhere that the 'B' weren't as a good performer than its predesessor?

W

Thanks Mate
Any ideas on the clocks running time

Best

(17) A up to 72 hours
(17) B 5 to 120 mins
If its a (17)b then the markings are just above the joint on the body 30mm below the shoulder
The (17) b was not an emergency patttern cobbled together , the emergency pattern (17) used a steel case instead of Ali
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the info Steve.
I thought that emergency meant just that and they would have used cheaper parts etc?

W

Hi Paul
The only emergency pattern bomb fuze was the (17) A with a steel lower sleeve the internals were all normal. the German for emergency is Erzatz but there is no reference to that fuze in the manuals, i think it was only a stop gap measure.

(17) A up to 72 hours
(17) B 5 to 120 mins
If its a (17)b then the markings are just above the joint on the body 30mm below the shoulder
The (17) b was not an emergency patttern cobbled together , the emergency pattern (17) used a steel case instead of Ali
Steve
Thanks for the Info Steve

There is a close up of the side markings and one of the realy plain top
can you tell anymore from the switchblock markings ie batch nos makers or
such like.

Best phil

Attachments

• Elaz 17 001.jpg
    Elaz 17 001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Elaz 17 002.jpg
    Elaz 17 002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 54
Its a (17)B Batch 10 of batch C BMV Rheinmetall Borsig sommerda plant manufactured 1942 Up to 120 mins clock running time
Each batch was 10,000?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice 17B Phil good find you luckie guy :tinysmile_shy_t:

Me stil looking for one of them :tinysmile_cry_t4:

Bloody hell MB.wish i knew that? :(

I traded my last one at Beltring. Still,they come up and are getting more available. :)
Will keep an eye open for you pal. :captain:

W