What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electromagnetic rail guns

Some years back some of the projectiles were available at the German ECRA show.

Some years back some of the projectiles were available at the German ECRA show.

Did you get any photos of them? What were they like, flat head proof type shot or saboted with cores?

Dave.

Last edited:
Dave, no images taken, they looked like slugs and a bit odd here and there. It was several different and I did not pay much attention as it was basically only physical test vehicles.

Hi Matt,

That was the only photo I found of that particular projectile. I will look for some others :)

Jason

EMRG_Boeing HVP.jpg

Boeing designs shown @ SAS 2014 (at the top is the land-attack variant, at the bottom the air-defense variant).

Last edited:
EMRG_BAE HVP.jpg

BAE Systems' designs shown at SAS 2014 (bottom : HVP with sabot/armature for Rail Gun ; middle : HVP with sabot for 155mm artillery ; bottom : HVP with sabot for 5-inch naval guns).

It is BAE's test projectile which weights 40 pounds and travels at speeds of 4,500 mph to 5,600 mph. Below is a photo of the round in flight. I have only seen the tactical rounds at the AUSA show which is coming up in October. I'll try to get you some good photos if they have the tactical rounds again at the show.

bae-system-2.jpg

It is BAE's test projectile which weights 40 pounds and travels at speeds of 4,500 mph to 5,600 mph. Below is a photo of the round in flight. I have only seen the tactical rounds at the AUSA show which is coming up in October. I'll try to get you some good photos if they have the tactical rounds again at the show.

View attachment 96867

Thanks for the photos.
Perhaps its wishful thinking but if you can pick up any publicity info also that would be great.
Thanks.
Dave.