What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ElZtZ 9 variations

F0031

Behold two distinct ElZtZ 9 fuzes. The one on the left in each picture has an A and, further round the head, a Y. (The picture is not clear but that really is a 9 in the circle). Also it has a metal base.

The one on the right is curious because it deviates from the normal placement of the fuse designation. On all my other fuzes the name is to be found straddling the locating pin (as on the left in the first picture). But in the right-hand fuze there is a large minus sign near the pin and the 'ElZtZ(9)' is well away from it. The base has a plastic collar. I've seen another like it on this Forum at http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/el-ztz-number-t25123.html.

Tony.

Attachments

• Fuze ElZtZ 9 a.jpg
    Fuze ElZtZ 9 a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 50
  • Fuze ElZtZ 9 b.jpg
    Fuze ElZtZ 9 b.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 35
Just consulting German Explosive Ordnance.

On page 130 it says that the Z is usually found just at the locating pin with the number designation following. So there is a rule, and that ElZtZ 9 is an exception to it.

Also on page 167: The ElZtZ(9)A is essentially identical with (9) except that the resistance is 22 megohms instead of 42 megohms reducing the delay time by 50%.

T.

The (9)A differs from the more usual (9) in that the internal resistances have been changed which reduces the time delay by 50%. This means that it is unsuitable for low level bombing. the (9)a is also painted with yellow paint to denote this change
With regards to markings they can differ with sometimes the Lot number is omitted also ive seen the Inspectors stamp missed out. its the ringed number that is most important, see my fuze guide. to see what these numbers mean.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator: