What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enlightenment please: the term 'X type'

To all Gurus out there -I am a bit stumped by a reference which refers to bombs, or more likely to a fuse type. It's in a rather abbreviated list of the ordnance aimed at St Pierre de Corps M/Y on April 10th 1944 by a force of 172 Lancasters. Among the bombs dropped were "1,267 x 1000LB MCLD 'X' type". This is a large number of LD -but 'X' type. Should this be a fusing question? All replies gratefully received.

Best

ChrisG

Hi Chris,

I will try to answer your question. I think the Lancs can carry max. 6 x 1000 lb MC + others smaller ordnance like T.I.s or Inc clusters. I know the term 'X' type only in connection with the 4 lb Inc. Normally 10 % of the dropped 4 lb Inc were 'X' type with explosive charge. So I think the number of 1,267 refers to the 4 lb Inc 'X' which were dropped. This would be my assumption. Perhaps you can post the complete ordnance list for a better understanding.

Regards,
Mossie

Mossie,

Thanks for this information. Its clear from your figures that 172 Lancasters would not have been able to carry 1,267 x 1000 MC bombs, but there is some indication that the Force was greater. So these numbers may derive from the prepared load, rather than the load aimed at the target. I hope to acquire greater details of the Ordnance actually carried shortly. In my list the Ref to "X" type comes immediately after the ref to 1000 MC x 1267, and there is no ref to Incendiaries nearby to which it might be attached. A puzzle at the moment, but one I am keen to resolve.

Many thanks for your response.

Chris