What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EOD Incident in Essex

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
http://www.essex-fire.gov.uk/pages/index.asp?area=5&id=46

IMG_7211_%28Medium%29.jpg

Firefighters have been called to a back garden after a householder digging in their garden unearthed some old smoking bottles.,
The bottles were giving off a foul stench and smoke was coming from them, so the worried resident called in Police. They in turn alerted fire crews in case chemicals are involved.
At 17:00 hrs, crews were standing by awaiting the arrival of the Army bomb disposal unit has been called in to assess the bottles and their powdery content. Police have evacuated neighbouring properties and a cordon has been set up on the scene.
At 17:30 hrs, Assistant Divisional Officer Pete Little, the officer in charge of the incident, reports that three people have been treated by Ambulance Service paramedics as a precaution after inhaling fumes from the bottles.
At 17:54 hrs, crews report that they remain on stand by. The bomb disposal team is now on site.
At 18:23 hrs, ADO Little explained:"The Army bomb disposal experts have confirmed that these are Phosferous incendiary devices of a kind that were given to the Home Guard during the war by the Government. It appears they had been buried in a dry pond for many years and were only uncovered by someone digging in their garden this afternoon.
"We expect to be standing by for some hours. We are not entirely sure at this stage how Army experts will dispose of the devices but I believe they will be buried in a skip of sand and removed."
At 18:30 hrs, crews are still standing by while Army experts appraise the incident.

Update 21:02 hrs, Assistant Divisional Officer John Moss, who is now in charge of the incident, reports that crews remain on standby.

Update 22:46 hrs: The bomb disposal team has completed its assessment and Police will keep a watch on the incident overnight.
The bomb disposal team will return to the scene in the morning. ECFRS crews have been stood down.

ECFRS left the incident at 23:13

We have no further information.

The same thing happend a year ago down this way when a council worker strimmed the top off one in a DDay practice area. Could have been nasty...!
Was this in a know training area? or was it perhaps a home guard stash long forgotten about.?
Weasel.

Home guard

Often they were found stashed in embankments ready for use and forgotten about , until someone unearthed them.

Are these the `grenades` that were also known as number 76` s?
Did the crates come with a metal sign on it that started with `AW Bombs`??
Update: Ooops!,i never saw that link in the earlier post.
I only ask because i know of a pal who found a metal sign in a ditch of water and i was thinking perhaps that the ditch may need a visit from the Authorities?

best

waff

Last edited:
If you strongly suggest it might be the same thing it would be best to get someone to investigate. Might even get your picture in the paper and a medal :)

If you strongly suggest it might be the same thing it would be best to get someone to investigate. Might even get your picture in the paper and a medal :)

Thats the last thing i need buddy!
I shall PM you the `morrow as the pal was a mutual friend of ours......

regards

waff

No 76 SIP Grenades! I did 24 of these near St Albans last year. Got some phos residue on my coveralls and my arse caught fire. Lovely!

:bigsmile: BruceV8 you didnt have to live up to the nickname of your trade badge :bigsmile: