What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EOD technicians in Gaza

These men have my greatest respect. These really are heroes. No western technician would do this work without proper equipment and a pay so low that you can not support a family.
Bellifortis

What these men are doing takes a certain kind of courage,irrespective of who's "side" they are on they should be allowed some form of protection for themselves after all it is not as if they are using the unexploded missiles to make IEDs,they are disposing of them where they will harm no one,to do what they are choosing to do shows the kind of courage shown by all EOD operatives,like all EOD staff they have my respect,
All EOD personnel,stay safe and thanks,
Don,

What these men are doing takes a certain kind of courage,irrespective of who's "side" they are on they should be allowed some form of protection for themselves after all it is not as if they are using the unexploded missiles to make IEDs,they are disposing of them where they will harm no one,to do what they are choosing to do shows the kind of courage shown by all EOD operatives,like all EOD staff they have my respect,
All EOD personnel,stay safe and thanks,
Don,

I've read some other reports on this, and that seems to be the question, are all of the explosives accounted for? Could they be diverted and used for IEDs? When you have a group with access to explosives and they work for Hamas - no a hard question to ask. The subject of the interview clarifies his answer, stating "that in his experience "whatever they collect, they destroy". He talks like a politician. Never liked politicians.

+1, Subs. And to me, this is one of the more telling, angering, frustrating bits of the article:

"Each new conflict in Gaza – in 2008-09 Israel termed its campaign "Operation Cast Lead", in 2012 "Pillar of Defence" and now "Protective Edge” – brought more unexploded munitions, he said."

The fact that there has been no decisive end to the Gaza situation since all Israeli forces pulled out in 2005; and leaving Hamas in charge to continue to stockpile weapons, construct tunnels with Israeli-supplied concrete, and launch ordnance over their border, has created the situation where there is a lot of unexploded ordnance lying about endangering civilians. If only the Palestinians, Egyptians, Iranians, Europeans, and Americans truly wanted to end the suffering in both Israel and Gaza......................

+1, Subs. And to me, this is one of the more telling, angering, frustrating bits of the article:

"Each new conflict in Gaza – in 2008-09 Israel termed its campaign "Operation Cast Lead", in 2012 "Pillar of Defence" and now "Protective Edge” – brought more unexploded munitions, he said."

The fact that there has been no decisive end to the Gaza situation since all Israeli forces pulled out in 2005; and leaving Hamas in charge to continue to stockpile weapons, construct tunnels with Israeli-supplied concrete, and launch ordnance over their border, has created the situation where there is a lot of unexploded ordnance lying about endangering civilians. If only the Palestinians, Egyptians, Iranians, Europeans, and Americans truly wanted to end the suffering in both Israel and Gaza......................

If I agree with Jonnyc et US-Subs, I posted the link for the men and women of all nationalities, creeds and colors together, they deserve the utmost respect for putting their lives on the line to save others. In that sense, I do not think only on EOD Techs but also to members of law enforcement, firefighters, paramedics, ...
In this article, I acknowledge our predecessors in Belgium during 40-45 ! No special equipment, no documentation, nothing but their spirit and desire to neutralize and destroy the engine of destruction. And yet they went !
We are not politicals !

Respect, guys !

Yoda

"Italian Simone Camili is first newsman to die in Gaza conflict
DEBKAfile August 13, 2014, 3:53 PM (IDT)
AP journalist, Simone Camili, 35, was one of five people who died Wednesday, when a Gaza bomb disposal crew attempted to disable unexploded ordnance in the town of Beit Lahiya. The head of the bomb crew, three local police officers and a translator were also killed in the accidental explosion, which occurred during a ceasefire. Mr. Camili, who had been with the AP since 2005, was the first foreign journalist to be killed in the Gaza conflict."