What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eryx

Freaky

I just received this empty ERYX tube and have tried to find some more information regarding this type of rocket launcher. Does anyone have a ERYX rocket in their collection? I would appreciate a drawing of the rocket in the tube showing how it was connected to the guidance wire and firing mechanism.

Cheers
Freaky

IMG_3432.jpgIMG_3433.jpg

The missile is held in the launch tube by the latching unit. When the missile is fired an small electro-explosive device fires and inverts the belleville spring, which pulls the pin downward freeing the missile. Then the launch motor fires and propels the missile out about 5m before the main motor fires. The guidance wire in on a spool on the aft end of the missile and attaches to the rear top of the launch tube. If you remove the rear foam cap there should be a plastic piece that hangs down a bit from the launch tube and there should be a short piece of insulated wire protruding from the front of this plastic piece which would connect to the rear of the spool.

Could you post photos of the markings. Canada used the ERYX missile, but your launch tube has different markings than found on the Canadian one. I am guessing that is a practice missile due to the blue band.

Thank you for the information so far Ammocat
You’re perfectly right. The tube is for a practice
rocket. I t is stated on the markings (ving) which is Norwegian for practise.
How much would they really save on making a practise rocket when taken into consideration that it has to have the “complex” steering of the rocket? I mean that the only different is the high explosive which is removed to make it a practise rocket.
I think that I read some place that the army uses a electronically simulator for practise instead of using practise rockets. I guess that even practise rockets would be very expensive when they use money on creating a simulator.
Can someone tell from the LOT number where it was maid?

/Freaky

Eryx.jpg

The simulator is a useful training tool and gunners must complete several successful launches on the simulator before moving on to live missiles. When the ERYX missile is launched there is a significant change in the weight in the launch tube which can cause the gunner to shift his point of aim. If the shift is too great the sight will lose the missile and if the sight does not regain sight of the missile within a specified period the TSD will function and the missile will crash. The simulator helps the gunner overcome this, but is not a substitute for live firing. Live firing allows for several things, firstly, the gunners and commanders get a better understanding of the tactical employment on the missile system and its limitations for firing from inside buildings, through brush, etc. The missile system can be employed with other weapon systems and can be employed in a variety of weather conditions, light conditions, etc that cannot be simulated while employing the simulator. The simulator does not replicate the back blast hazard or dust kick up when fired from a trench dry ground or other aspects of firing.

The practice missile has several advantages over the HEAT missile. One there is a cost savings on targetry. The HEAT missile virtually destroys plywood targets and will quickly reduce hard targets (tanks and AFVs) to useless metal scrap piles. Also if a HEAT missile fails to function correctly, one or both of the warheads may end up as UXOs on the range. This may pose a hazard for personnel and may prevent the land from being used for other purposes.

The practice missile is much easier on the targets and will not leave explosive hazards downrange.

Thank you for the information Ammocat. I read that the Norwegian army has stopped using this type of weapon due to the sort range and the complex firing setup so these tubes will be more and more rare I guess.
Is it possible to find a inert rocket on the open marked? Does anyone have on in they collection. I also found this drawing on the internet showing the rocket in the tube.

/Freaky
eryx-4.jpg

eryx-5.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of the Marking for the other countries that are using this missile? I know Canada, France, Norway, and I read Turkey bought some. I would like to see differences in the marking on the tubes.

Joe

Thought I would throw this one back out there. I am interested in seeing the different markings from the different countries if anyone has tubes. Specifically the lot codes.

Thanks,

Joe

Hopefully better late than never. Here are some photos of markings I managed to dig up.

eryx outer 2.jpgDSC02931.jpgDSC02932.jpgslide 4.jpgslide 5.jpg