What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETC50 Cleaning Advice

oldshotandshell

P1030282.jpgP1030284.jpgP1030283.jpgP1030286.jpgP1030273.jpgP1030280.jpgP1030281.jpg

Any thoughts on how best to clean up this 'relic' ETC50 would be appreciated.

Ideally I would like to be able to remove the brown soil discolouration from the spec plates and body externally, and the corrosion from the aluminium and steel internal parts.

Thank you.

Maybe try message member Foo31 he has done some nice cleaning and preservation on relic bomb racks before, im not at home right now and as im struggling on a phone i cant find the links but he did post his restored items. Maybe one of the other members can find them and add the links..if not i will do it when i get home

Maybe try message member Foo31 he has done some nice cleaning and preservation on relic bomb racks before, im not at home right now and as im struggling on a phone i cant find the links but he did post his restored items. Maybe one of the other members can find them and add the links..if not i will do it when i get home

some links..
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/82236-bomb-release-device

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/90385-German-bomb-release-device

I have this one, also in relic condition........ http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/76166-50kg-bomb-release-and-charging-unit

I'm not sure on cleaning but I would say its advisable not to use chemical dip as it corrodes the alloy parts quite readily.

regards Kev

there is a very good product called EVAPORUST .you need to completely submerge it in the evaporust so you will need quite a bit and sometimes it only takes a few hours.dont leave it overnight or for to long without checking it.

Hi, I clean a lot of recovered aircraft wreckage, when say a lot I mean a lot!!

Anyway, I would avoid evaporust on those alloy plates, I have found evaporust eats away at the fragile plates removing some of the writing, if you do use it don't leave it in for long lengths of time.

ACF 50 is a good corrosion inhibitor, it is available on ebay, I coated an object 8 years ago that was heavily corroded and it is still as sound as a pound, it's origins are from the aviation industry but is now widely used in the automotive industry. It is a purple oil that fizzes slightly when applied, it goes clear and leaves the item slightly greasy, the ACF-50 travel and creap down the intergranular corrosion killing it as it goes.

That painted number 6271 I think is likely to be the aircraft werk number which could provide you with a history - worth putting on one of the aviation forums such as the Historic page on the Flypast Forum.

Hope this helps a little.

Dan

with oxalic acid cleaned things, since years no troubble. Nothing will "eaten up" ;)
My friend and some museum used it to for aircraft parts

Attachments

• 0001 (1).jpg
    0001 (1).jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 0001 (2).jpg
    0001 (2).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 40
Good results, looking at the pictures above. Were the projectiles placed in the Oxalic acid like the picture left at once, or was the majority of rust /oxide removed with a brush on forehand.
How long does it take to get them this clean?

Regards, DJH