What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental 110 apds tank round

SG500

Premium Member
Just a few pictures of a British experimental semi combustable 110mm tank round. I've absolutely no idea of any detail regarding this gun but various bits of cases/sabots etc do seem to turn occasionally.

The "case" is like a giant shotgun cartridge and is made of card.

Dave.

Attachments

• 110mm 1.JPG
    110mm 1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 110mm 2.JPG
    110mm 2.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 110mm 3.JPG
    110mm 3.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 110mm 4.JPG
    110mm 4.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 110mm 5.JPG
    110mm 5.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 159
110mm flat head proof.

Here's a couple of photos of the flat head proof shot for the 110mm tank round.

Dave.

Attachments

• 30 April 09 006.jpg
    30 April 09 006.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 66
  • 30 April 09 007.jpg
    30 April 09 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 47
More detail on 110 tank gun round.

Just a bit more detail on this one.

The EXP-14 110mm apds was the first British tank gun to use semicombustible cartridge cases with a metallic stub case. The projectile had a muzzle velocity of 1578 m/sec and could penetrate more armour than the 120mm L11.
In 1974 it was put forward as the main armament for the future main battle tank which the UK was then trying to develop with Germany however in 1975 an evaluation was carried out between the UK, Germany and the USA in an attempt to find a common armament for the future tanks of the three countries. As a result the UK discarded the 110mm gun in favour of a new 120mm M7.

Information taken from "Cold War hot science" published by the science museum.

Dave.

Hi Rick, thanks, yes its in my collection - I'm selling the sabot if anyone's interested - see classifieds.
Dave.

I thought I'd just bring this thread to life again as there's an ongoing discussion about the odd 105mm case of mine.
The round shown in this thread is the EXP - 14 110mm apds HOWEVER the first British 110mm tank case was the EXP - 7 which was designed to replace the 105mm L7 if the need arose. The problem with the EXP - 7 was the extraction of the brass cartridge cases.................i.e. it was completely made of brass unlike the EXP - 14 which was semi combustible.
Does anyone have a 110mm EXP - 7 case they can show or drawings of etc?
Thanks.
Dave.

Although the EXP-7 was the first 110mm calibre ordnance created this was just a bored out 105mm L7 barrel with the forward end of the chamber amended to suit the new bore diameter, the operating pressure was no greater than the standard L7. This was followed by the 110mm 'Sales Gun' (EXP-8) which was based on the same exterior profile as the 105mm L7 barrel but was capable of sustaining higher operating pressures. If there was any problems in cartridge extraction I would expect it to have been with the EXP-8 system rather than the original EXP-7, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you have evidence to the contrary.

These were both superceeded by the 110mm EXP-14 which had a higher operating pressure and was designed with separately loaded stub case ammunition. The use of the stub case minimising the potential problem of case sticking on extraction/ejection. This ordnance had a vertically opening breech instead of the sideways opening of the 105mm L7 system.

Out of interest the 120mm M7 quoted earlier in the thread as the replacement for the 110mm following the tri-national firing trials should be the 120mm EXP-19M7.

Thanks for the additional information Old_ROF.
The information I got was out of the book "Cold War Hot Science" published by the science museum:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-War-Hot-Science-Laboratories/dp/9057024810
As with all books it could well have mistakes - I don't have any original design info to refer to.
Do you have any photographs of the EXP 7 and EXP 8 cases you mention? Types of projectile etc?
Thanks.
Dave.

Thanks for the additional information Old_ROF.
The information I got was out of the book "Cold War Hot Science" published by the science museum:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-War-Hot-Science-Laboratories/dp/9057024810
As with all books it could well have mistakes - I don't have any original design info to refer to.
Do you have any photographs of the EXP 7 and EXP 8 cases you mention? Types of projectile etc?
Thanks.
Dave.

Unfortunately there are a few errors in the designations used in "Cold War, Hot Science".

The correct form of experimental ordnance designation from RARDE was of the form EXPxxMx. e.g Ordnance, 110mm EXP14M1 etc. An alternative form of designation was also used which was of the form XxxEx e.g Ordnance, 120mm X23E1 which, out of interest, eventually became the 120mm L11 ordnance.

My background is from the weapon side rather than munitions so unfortunately I don't have any data for the 110mm ammunition.

Firstly thanks to OLD ROF for pointing me here. My interest is on the muddled thinking prior to the introduction of MBT80, which as we know never made it. The records show a very confused period on what to arm and indeed power and protect MBT80, all this I hope to use in the introduction of my Challenger 2 book, the files on MBT 80 are actually very fascinating and do give a window into the period.

Bob