What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental 20mm Hispano short projectile?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Please see the attached photos of a short 20mm Hispano projectile with separate ‘penetrator’ or core. Only marking is for ROF Steeton on the base. It came in an ST marked case dated 1942. Any thoughts?IMG_6679.jpegIMG_6678.jpegIMG_6677.jpeg

Short range? Doesn't seem like it would be very stable, but looks too good to be a fantasy piece.

Thought it looked unusual! Unfortunately most of the members on here who would have known seem to have passed away.
Could it have had a ballistic cap originally?
T

Rather inconsiderate really but I guess that’s the way of things.
I doubt it would have had a cap, there are no grooves or nicks and no evidence that anything was soldered on. The core was very tightly held in

The British experimented with quite a few sub-caliber discarding sabot projectiles for the 20x110mm Hispano during WW2. While this example doesn’t appear to be discarding sabot it externally resembles some of the designs. They can be seen in the document “Development of subcaliber projectiles for the Hispano-Suiza gun”.

I don’t think it’s related but it’s what crossed my mind first.

The British experimented with quite a few sub-caliber discarding sabot projectiles for the 20x110mm Hispano during WW2. While this example doesn’t appear to be discarding sabot it externally resembles some of the designs. They can be seen in the document “Development of subcaliber projectiles for the Hispano-Suiza gun”.

I don’t think it’s related but it’s what crossed my mind first.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA800215.pdf
or
United States. Office of Scientific Research and Development. National Defense Research Committee
or Microfilm Index ; Summary Technical Report of NDRC.

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky z 2024-01-15 06-39-11.png
    Snímek obrazovky z 2024-01-15 06-39-11.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
thars excellent AKON, I think you have it. Two of the A series projectiles are very similar to the one that I have.
many thanks, Dave