What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental 7.62mm blank??

smle2009

Hi all,
just got hold of this 7.62mm Nato blank,found some photo's on the net of this one and one with a slightly shorter neck and are listed as kynock experimental blanks,info on this site is very brief to say the least and knowing what some sites are like I thought I would check with our experts! Headstamp is K 67 and it has a dark purple annulus
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P3200002.JPG
    P3200002.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 27
  • P3200003.JPG
    P3200003.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 31
Blank

Yes, one of a series of experimental blanks made by both Kynoch and Radway Green. Yours is a bit late, as most of them date from 1959 to about 1962 and were trials for the L10A2 blank. Until then the only blank in service was the L10A1 made by Fabrique Nationale.

I will post a picture of my examples later on today.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks TonyE, love to see your photo! on the FN blanks which I think had a red coloured crimp did the early RG blank also have a red crimp before going over to green?
All the best
Tony

Blanks

OK, here are some pictures. Sorry if quality not too good. All are experimental except where stated and descriptions left to right.

Picture 1 Kynoch blanks

Un h/s, plain p.a.
K 60, Purple p.a.
K 60 (+) L2A2, Purple p.a.
K 67 30 L10A1, Purple p.a. made from .30-06 blank case.
K 59 (+) L2A2, plain p.a. trial blank with wood bullet for Bren gun, similar to the .303 L10z blank.

Picture 2 RG blanks

FN 60 (+), purple p.a. Issue L10A1 blank for comparison.
RG 61, plain p.a.
RG 61 L10A2, plain p.a. First year of issue L10A2 blank.

Picture 3 Canadian blanks

(+) DA 58, black p.a.
(+) DA 58, black p.a.
(+) DA 59, red p.a. First year of issue blank.

Picture 4 Grenade blanks (just for interest.)

RG 55 L1A1, plain p.a. Open mouth sealed with clear celluloid cup.
RG 72 (+) L2A2, purple p.a. Unfinished extruded case, which I believe would have been the L8A1 had it made it to service. It was probably too like a training blank for safety, as to load a training blank with rapid burning powder behind a heavy grenade would not be a good idea.
RG 63 L10A2, plain p,a, Green paint blob on case head. Nickel Boxer cap.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Kynoch blanks1.jpg
    Kynoch blanks1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • RG Blanks1.jpg
    RG Blanks1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Canadian Blanks 1.jpg
    Canadian Blanks 1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 16