What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental grenades

Spgr30

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I send you this 3 pics which are unusual grenades. The third seem to be the DEWANDER'S dvelopement of the original Belgium that inspired the mills, but the others are unknow for me. Could you help me?
Best regards

Attachments

• P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 91
Interesting stuff bud, have you any dates on these grens?

I thought the Mills gren was derived from the Roland Grenade, of circular design?

Andy

Experimental

No, sorry, but only other pics and draw if you want.
B.regards

Hi again bud,

there is some paper stuck to one of the grens with some writing on it, can it be read, do you know what it says? Do you have a piccy of it?

Andy

Dewandre & Lamine

Delhomme refers to these in his book on British grenades. I don't have it to hand but I think he labelled them as 'unknown' or experimental.

The 'gas checks' would suggest 1916 earliest (French).

In fact they at least one is the subject of British Patents 141741 to 141742 in the names of Dewandre and Lamine 15th June 1916. By this time they are more akin to the Mills than the Roland but national interests might disagree.

I'd suggest that they are all from the same stable.

Hello,
I send you this 3 pics which are unusual grenades. The third seem to be the DEWANDER'S dvelopement of the original Belgium that inspired the mills, but the others are unknow for me. Could you help me?
Best regards

The third definitely appears to be Dewandre's development model of 1916. It certainly seems to be marked BMM (Compagnie Belge des Munitions Militaires), of which Dewandre was managing director.

Is the lever made of metal, or a type of plastic? Looks metal, but just in case it might not be...

Tom.

Last edited:
Experimental

hi,
Effectively, in France, we think they could be french experimental grenades, but not sure! On the third grenade, there is a label : "allumeur automatique" without any name, sorry! I send you a drawing of the second grenade.
B.regards

Attachments

• P1010074.jpg
    P1010074.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 57
  • PROTO 1.jpg
    PROTO 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 31
Experimental

Hi,
Just this pic for the third grenade, i think realy is a Dewander type.
Sprg30

Attachments

• belgischegranaat5xr.jpg
    belgischegranaat5xr.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 59
Dewandre

Dewandre was an engineer and I think he was a Belgian national so perhaps we should say that the grenades are Belgian. But he likely did the work in France or the UK (he was living in London in 1915)....

Mills and Dewandre took out a provisional Patent together in February 1915 but they fell out soon afterwards (I think Mills saw no reason to share ideas with him) and the Patent 1776 of 1915 was taken no further.

I thought it was interesting that Dewandre stayed in the field of grenade inventing. His 1916 design is pretty neat with internal segmentation but as far as I am aware it was not tested by the British agencies (MID, MDC, WO, etc). Someone whould do a proper research job on him.

Tom, I didn't see the BMM so that probably seals it then; the are Belgian (made out of the BMM office in Paris! ):tinysmile_grin_t:

Experimental

A other pics of the third grenade. First the writing down, and the second to see level.
Spgr30

Attachments

• P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 32
There's something like a date on the paper, 2/19 so may may be quite a late design.

Andy