What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental Rounds

John B

Having collected .303 ammunition for a number of years, I thought I would share a couple of experimental rounds that I have had for a while. I framed them some years ago, with a little write up on the research that I did, so excuse the poor photos, i did not want to remove them from the frame
One is an RTS, explosive incendiary, experimental round from the Woolwich arsenal 1918, with nitroglycerine and sawdust, and the other is a Pomeroy MK1 with 73% 'Kieselguhr' used by the RFC, they are interesting rounds. I hope you enjoy seeing them

And yes, they are inert FFE :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 70

A nice pair of rounds.

What are the headstamps please on these? I suspect the Pomeroy Mark I will be E 16 VII, but others exist.

Did you weigh the RTS? The earliest forms had no internal strengthening to the bullet and only weighed around 55-65 grains. Later types had the inner lead sheath and were heavier.

As a matter of interest, had they been de-bugged when you got them? They both look like they may have been dug up.

Post some more of your collection. I have posted this picture before of some of my stuff (which I use as an avatar), but as you are a new member I will post again.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• WWIspecials.jpg
    WWIspecials.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 35
Hi Tony, and thanks for showing me yours

Yes you are right about the headstamp, the other one, i cannot see very well (its my age) one day i'll take them out and give them a good clean. they were not FFE when I got them, at that time i had a part section 5 for collecting prohibitive ammunition, but I gave that part of the ticket up, as I could not find anyone to sell live AP Incendiary ect:

Being ex REME I had a few contacts that could disarm safely

The attached photo, is only a very small part of my collection, Most of the .303's are safely locked away :tinysmile_shy_t:

Can you spot the 7.92 AP's
I also have a link of 50 7.92's all wodden heads all unfired, all from the same batch. I've just posted a rack of 45-70's that I'm quite pleased with

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 83
Your pic

Hi.

Which are the 7.92mm AP? If you mean the black tipped copper washed rounds in the charger, those are S.m.K.L'spur tracers (although they do have a steel core).

If they were true AP rounds (S.m.K.H.) then you would still need your Section 5, even if the rounds are inert, as Section 5 applies to projectiles as well.

I think I asked before, are you a member of the ECRA?

Regards
Tony

I think I asked before, are you a member of the ECRA?

Regards
Tony

No you haven't asked before.................... and I am not

Good eye Tony :tinysmile_shy_t: Here is a close up of one of the headstamps

The .303........ It's a Military Royal Laboratory MK6, got a strange head, can you shed any light on it? shame its been popped!

Oh, and I haven't weighed the experimental rounds, sorry

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 45
RL Mark VI

Difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks like a standard 215 grn. Mark VI bullet that has been pulled and then not seated quite deep enough in the case.

What do you think is odd about it?

Reegards
TonyE

I thought that the rounded head was odd for a military round? as its a tad bigger than a standard tip.

you're right about it being pulled and not seated correctly, as there are some small marks along the edge, where it looks like someone's had some grips on it to pull it, instead of a kinetic hammer:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Last edited:
Mark VI

This is a normal .303 Mark VI with the 215 grn. round nosed bullet. All .303 British ball rounds had a round nosed 215 grn. bullet before the Mark VII. Powder Mark I and II, Cordite Marks I,II and VI were solid nosed whilst Cordite Marks III, IV and V were hollo nosed.

These are the ancestors,
.303 Rubin rimless
.303 Rubin rimmed (1888 Trials cartridge)
.303 Powder Mark I

PowderGroup1-1.jpg

Regards
TonyE