What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiments in Hydraulic Removal of Dents from Shell Casings

M8owner

Experiment no. 1 - failure. Will rework equipment and try again. Of course, sealing is the biggest problem. I believe that the piston is too small and not moving enough volume - I will make a bigger one. This is a KwK 40 shell case filled with water. I use my shop press to push down the piston.

Attachments

• photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 81
I've done a few with the "hammer & dolly" method. A little simpler process. Results on some, near perfect. Results on others, so-so. I'm no metalsmith, but generally the dings and dents were removed with little sign of pinging.

Experiment no. 1 - failure. Will rework equipment and try again. Of course, sealing is the biggest problem. I believe that the piston is too small and not moving enough volume - I will make a bigger one. This is a KwK 40 shell case filled with water. I use my shop press to push down the piston.

Have you thought of using a denser liquid than water? such as a 'thick' gear oil,it could well help with the sealing problem.

I am trying to stay away from oil as it takes almost four liters of fluid to fill a KwK40 case. Water is also much easier to clean up as there is much spillage. Greatest sealing issue is around the primer - I believe that I can solve that.