What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experts for Lee-Metford/Enfield I need help !

DreamPhoto

Does any have idea what this thing is ? Have standard joint unit for bayonet socket of Lee-Metford or long Lee-Enfield ! Front piece is rotating for 90 degree.No any markings, maybe is Dutch ?:cry:

Attachments

• DPPBajonet005.jpg
    DPPBajonet005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DPPBajonet05.jpg
    DPPBajonet05.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DPPBajonet006.jpg
    DPPBajonet006.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DPPBajonet007.jpg
    DPPBajonet007.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DPPBajonet008.jpg
    DPPBajonet008.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DPPBajonet009.jpg
    DPPBajonet009.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DPPBajonet010.jpg
    DPPBajonet010.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DPPBajonet011.jpg
    DPPBajonet011.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DPPBajonet013.jpg
    DPPBajonet013.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DPPBajonet014.jpg
    DPPBajonet014.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23
Just a thought...

Could it be a training aid?
... a target is fitted on the end of the "rod-thing" and then the "rod-thing" gets attached to the rifle?

or

Could it be a device to steady the rifle for a long range sniper shot?
...attach the "rod-thing" to a fixed object and then the "rod-thing" gets attached to the rifle?

Last edited:
Thank you Staples57,
I have similar thought, but I hope that "rod-thing" is more usual part of equipment. I hope that we find some answers for that.
Thanks any way !

Looks Dutch to me. I will have to check but it is used to make a monopod for a MG with a rifle. It was used for the Dutch Lewis gun.

I can not see any markings on any of the pictures which might suggest it is
not some kind of production gadget. Not a clue what it could be or its origin.
The handle looks more Ross than M95 but in both cases I would expect
to see some remaining markings. Why do you think it might be Dutch?

Cheers, Jan

Unknown article

What an interesting item! I agree that it certainly looks like the bayonet fitting for an MLM or an MLE. Have you checked the diameter of the muzzle ring?

I thought at first that it might have been some kind of training bayonet, but the business end is obviously wrong. As for the monopod for a Lewis, i would have thought an MLE with that on the end would have been far too tall, and when did the Dutch have MLE rifles in service with Lewis guns?

I await any further revelations with interest.

Regards
TonyE

The Dutch had the SMLE and (modified) Lewis gun in service alright. I do not
think the Lee Metford came in to the picture though.

Cheers, Jan

The Dutch 1895 bayonet used on the 6.5mm Mannlicher rifle and carbine used the same pommel as the British P1888(Metford/'long lee') bayonet.
Not any help for id,but as the Nederland connection has already been suggested,but my be another area to search for a id?
Cheers
Tony

PS it would not fit on a SMLE.

Last edited:
Here are photos of the 1895,Ross and the 1888 bayonet pommels,I think we can discount the Ross bayonet.
1895 is the first photo,1888 last
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P5260001.JPG
    P5260001.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P5260002.JPG
    P5260002.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
  • P5260003.JPG
    P5260003.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
It is a Dutch "luchtdoelsteun No.1" for infantry use with the M95 rifle. There is also a longer version (luchtdoelsteun No3) for use with the karabijn No4. Tomorrow I will make a scan of the book "Nederlandse vuurwapens Landmacht en Luchtvaartafdeling" by G. de Vries and B.J Martens.(for those who have the book, page 191, 192 and 193)