What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exploded butterfly

SG500

Premium Member
I realise a lot of people strive for the perfect item but when it comes to butterfly bombs I like the perfect ones and the ones that have gone bang.
I've attached a few photos of some relic wings in my collection that show the amazing explosive force that at some time in the past blew them into broken pieces. Its like the explosion has got frozen in time!!
With the set that's been cleaned you can even see where the spring from another wing set has hit the wings so hard an imprint has been left!
Dave.

Attachments

• Exploded wings 001.jpg
    Exploded wings 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Exploded wings 002.jpg
    Exploded wings 002.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Exploded wings 003.jpg
    Exploded wings 003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Exploded wings 004.jpg
    Exploded wings 004.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Exploded wings 005.jpg
    Exploded wings 005.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
Those are neat Dave, I also like fragments of the American Civil War, they tell alot about construction.
John

very nice Dave........I also like to see them like that. Simply a moment in time captured forever.........if only they could speak!!!

regards Kev

Twisted wing frame and those shrapnel holes on the wings tell their own story.

Same location which i gathered these relics have MG151/20 and MG FF casings,which have same sort of sharpnel holes.Lots of sharp/hot metal pieces have flown there,some of the trees in the area make metal detector beep from the root level up to 2meters high.