What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extension Fuze Bomb M1A1 (M1E1)(36 inch), Comp

pzgr40

Premium Member
Hi folks, I am looking for a cutaway drawing of a Extension Fuze Bomb M1A1 (M1E1) (36 inch), Comp B . Its the pipe that is placed on the nose of a 500 Lb Mk82 snakeye (see picture)
Thanks in advance , regards, DJH

Attachments

• Skyraider_A-1H-J_1969_-_00000033_-_USAF.jpg
    Skyraider_A-1H-J_1969_-_00000033_-_USAF.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
DJ,

The slang term for them is "Daisycutter" here in the states. The term would also refer to a bomb with one installed on it, although the term now also refers to a GP bomb with a nose proximity fuze installed.

I'm not sure how close you are to the Dutch Air Force EOD museum, but they had an inert one in ther building back in 2000 when I visited there with Jop.

I have one that I could measure for you if you can't find a drawing. My copy doesn't have the hose clamp and tubing (fuze arming wire conduit).

Thes were not only used exclusively MK 82s. They could be used on any U.S. bomb with a nose fuzewell both WWII and after. They were even used on the 15,000 Lb. blockbuster bombs that were dropped from C-130 cargo planes and Sikorsky skycrane helicopters. One of our members has a photo in their album that shows a MOAB bomb with them installed. It takes one on each side for redundancy. They can be combined in line to make an extension 3 ft long, 6 ft long etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8uHYTwrFsQ&feature=related"]YouTube- BLU-82 Daisy Cutter[/ame]

MOAB video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSfD4roMxY&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Future Weapons: MOAB[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so far. I've been browsing some more on the internet but it hasn't given much more info.
A cutaway drawing would still be best
Thanks and regards, DJH

Fuze extension

Hello,

here what I found in US TM B-2-1-1. It's an old TM, that explain the bad quality of pics.
In the tabel, you can see the different length of fuze extensions M1 A1.

Yoda

Attachments

• US Extension M1 A1-01.JPG
    US Extension M1 A1-01.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 50
  • US Extension M1 A1-02.JPG
    US Extension M1 A1-02.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the replies. However, I think I have a different type. Both threaded endcaps are welded in place. It does not sound healthy: placing a cartboard container with TNT inside the pipe and than weld the other endcap in place.
I will place a picture of the pipe on the forum tonight.

Found this picture of a 250 lb GP bomb with extension fuze.

Attachments

• 250 lb extension.jpg
    250 lb extension.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 65
Hi Folks , thanks for al the info. For the moment I kept it on a cast filler, untill more info appears, see picture below.
Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 500 Lb Mk-82 snakeye met 36 inch fuze extension complete..JPG
    500 Lb Mk-82 snakeye met 36 inch fuze extension complete..JPG
    83 KB · Views: 54