What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fake propellant for cut away 3.7cms

panther1

Hello

I have just got some powder bags for the 37 mm rounds, does anybody know if there is something that resembles the stick propellant used by the Germans?

Thanks

Iain

Try to find round wood . Here in Holland we have these rolling curtains made of 2 mm round bamboo with rope between it to form a curtain.
Also usable: sjalik or sate sticks. You can paint them in any desired colour.

Many people use spagetti, however this has the tendency to bend under the influence of moisture (an finally brake into pieces), either (no joke) you attract mice that eat the inside of your shellcases away.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• bamboe_sticks.jpg
    bamboe_sticks.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
pasta (spagetti)

in my experience spagetti (whole meal type to give a cordite colour appearance) works well if you use varnish rather than glue. The varnish soaks into the spagetti and when it dries ensures a hard lasting propellant look alike. Use a matt or satin varnish for effect otherwise you get too much shine - I only had gloss to hand! see attached. (the real dummy propellant from the 60s in the bofors case is also held in with varnish. I have a few 500grm tubs left at 3 each plus postage if you want any)

Attachments

• cd.jpg
    cd.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 104