What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFE Certification

Listy

I have to ask, how does one get a Free From Explosive Certificate in the UK?

The reason for this question is lectures. I have in the past, and will presumably in the future, be asked to give lectures on some of the subjects I deal in. Exhibits from my collection would be quiet useful in these lectures, but all the organisations that I give such lectures too ask for FFE certs for anything I bring along, which is all very understandable and sensible (in a former life I was H&S qualified, so I fully understand, and agree with such a policy).

However, this leaves me with the need to FFE several objects.

Has anyone gotten this done? If so, what advise would you give?

i was advised by many EX EOD, i done them myself and on the certificate i put a picture of the item fully stripped, explanation of what it was and signed it, now if as you know in H&S some one has to be responsible if some thing happens, so you make yourself the responsible person.

i was advised by many EX EOD, i done them myself and on the certificate i put a picture of the item fully stripped, explanation of what it was and signed it, now if as you know in H&S some one has to be responsible if some thing happens, so you make yourself the responsible person.

I've seen that advice, but I was reading up on the web and the 2013 regs seem to preclude the old advice:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ttachment_data/file/198311/C27_Edt4_FINAL.pdf

Nathan Stagg intends to offer an FFE certification service to collectors in the UK starting later this year.
I believe the items will be inspected, photographed, certified, and recorded on a database.

Nathan Stagg intends to offer an FFE certification service to collectors in the UK starting later this year.
I believe the items will be inspected, photographed, certified, and recorded on a database.

I thought there might be someone who saw a business opportunity.

Thank you kindly.

How much is that going to cost and the EOD don't take no notice of FFE certs unless done by them selves.

Nathan was talking about a very low fee, but we will have to see what the actual fees are when he launches the service. He recently qualified to IMAS 3.

Last edited:
So, as it appears the planned website and service has run into problems, or isn't happening, has anyone else got any suggestions for the original question? To whit, how do you get a current legal FFE cert for parts of our collection?

I believe nathan stagg is going to provide a FFE service
I know Nathan has been out of the UK recently (working at the EOD school in Kosovo), so that might have caused a delay with his FFE certification service.

Might be all well and good offering a service but that depends if the EOD want to take it up as there may be a thing about civilian and military conflict of interest's as with the police, these groups dont like toes trod on, if you see what i mean, a issued civilian FFE cert may mean nothing to those in authority. They have their own way determining what is live or not and don't take risks due to H&S.
I was told a long time ago by EOD when looking at a Mills grenades, they check to see if the base plug is screwed in or out at a certain distance, due to a det being in place, if so its treated as live and destroyed. Thats why i think it foolish for collectors placing dummy or drill dets in grenades, if you do get your collection checked by police or EOD they consider live, they have no interest in value or rarity as a collectors piece.

Might be all well and good offering a service but that depends if the EOD want to take it up as there may be a thing about civilian and military conflict of interest's as with the police, these groups dont like toes trod on, if you see what i mean, a issued civilian FFE cert may mean nothing to those in authority. They have their own way determining what is live or not and don't take risks due to H&S.
I was told a long time ago by EOD when looking at a Mills grenades, they check to see if the base plug is screwed in or out at a certain distance, due to a det being in place, if so its treated as live and destroyed. Thats why i think it foolish for collectors placing dummy or drill dets in grenades, if you do get your collection checked by police or EOD they consider live, they have no interest in value or rarity as a collectors piece.

Looking at the law, it appears there's been a shift so that you need to meet certain standards to be enabled to declare something FFE. When I first started looking at this, a lot of the old advice was just to declare it yourself. However, a quick perusal of the laws involved seemed to indicate you needed to be qualified and have the correct facilities to issue a cert. And, as I believe I said earlier, its not for police or EOD protection purposes.

I believe nathan stagg is going to provide a FFE service

That was the website, that was linked earlier, which has now lapsed to being open to anyone to purchase. So in the short term, it would appear he isn't.

Looking at the law, it appears there's been a shift so that you need to meet certain standards to be enabled to declare something FFE. When I first started looking at this, a lot of the old advice was just to declare it yourself. However, a quick perusal of the laws involved seemed to indicate you needed to be qualified and have the correct facilities to issue a cert. And, as I believe I said earlier, its not for police or EOD protection purposes.

That was the website, that was linked earlier, which has now lapsed to being open to anyone to purchase. So in the short term, it would appear he isn't.
There are over 1030 listings on there which are valid. They are in compliance with British Military coding and also IMAS. The international Mine Action standards. The current UK law says that someone who is compliant can issue certificates, international laws use IMAS as a reference. In my case its working as a supplier of inert items and identification for 13 years as well as being EOD 3 qualified. I've been away in Ukraine and Kosovo for a large chunk of last year.

staggindustries@outlook.com for any more information chaps.

Kindest regards Nathe

There are over 1030 listings on there which are valid. They are in compliance with British Military coding and also IMAS. The international Mine Action standards. The current UK law says that someone who is compliant can issue certificates, international laws use IMAS as a reference. In my case its working as a supplier of inert items and identification for 13 years as well as being EOD 3 qualified. I've been away in Ukraine and Kosovo for a large chunk of last year.

staggindustries@outlook.com for any more information chaps.

Kindest regards Nathe

Oh shiny!

Just what the Dr ordered.

Thank you.