What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firing Device Electrical M57

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Firing Device Electrical M57
I made this up from from a damaged body and seized mechanism,
Most of the info i have found online says they are used with claymores,Are they used with any other equipment ?
Info i found..........
One M57 firing device is issued with the Ml8A1 claymore mine. The device is a hand-held pulse generator.

A squeeze of the handle produces a double 3-volt electrical pulse of sufficient energy to fire the electric blasting cap through the 100 feet of firing wire issued with the mine. On one end of the firing device is a rubber connecting plug with a dust cover.
The safety bail (metal loop on rear of device) has two positions.
In the upper SAFE position, it acts as a block between the firing handle and the generator.

In the lower FIRE position, the generator can be activated.

Attachments

• firing device electrical m57.jpg
    firing device electrical m57.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 60
  • m57 electrical firing device claymore mine.jpg
    m57 electrical firing device claymore mine.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Nice work! I've always wondered what it looked like inside one of those!

I only know of the M57 being used with the Claymore, but this area isn't my specialty so someone else will know that answer. Thanks for sharing!

Justin

Very nice cutaway Spotter. I have two OD green firing devices, and a test set that is inop. A quick test, for a test set is to use a small voltage flashlight lamp, and try your firing device on the bulb. It will provide enough voltage to make the wire glow slightly. That's how I discovered my test set was broken, and not the firing device. I have a firing device that does not function, so I may make a cutaway myself... GROG

Nice cutaway. Did you know the M57 firing device is also used in the M180 demolition kit? This kit uses an M2A4 shaped charge and a rocket propeled 40 pound warhead to make craters.:nerd: