What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First attempt at a cutaway! yugo 7.92x57

Dparker91

Though I would show some pictures of my first cutaway, Also any advice when doing cutaways would be great?

This one has came out OK compared to some of the others I have seen on here which are mint! But like I say was my first attempt

What do you guys think?

IMG_0919_zps68bf6d22.jpg

IMG_0922_zpsa188d887.jpg

IMG_0925_zps93c7e168.jpg

IMG_0926_zps0120871b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Danny

Danny that is a very good result for a first try, what tools did you use on this one? Being a small round I should imagine it was pretty difficult clamping it securely while cutting.

Making cutaways can become pretty addictive, you will soon find yourself making all kinds of cutaways and I look forward to seeing your next one.

thats very good for a first go,on small rounds such as this i use just files, If it was originaly cordite filled originally try using spaghetti as a substitute ive used it in a boys round i cut last week for a friend and it gives good results,all i did was break it to length lay it in the cartridge and coat with a clear drying glue to hold it together
image attached to show what i mean

Attachments

• P1070906.jpg
    P1070906.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 76
Danny that is a very good result for a first try, what tools did you use on this one? Being a small round I should imagine it was pretty difficult clamping it securely while cutting.

Making cutaways can become pretty addictive, you will soon find yourself making all kinds of cutaways and I look forward to seeing your next one.

Thanks for that mate! I used a small file to make all the cuts and just low grade wet and dry to clean it up, I dident use a clamp as like you say was hard to clamp it right, I just held it with my hands, I can tell you it wasent a quick way of doing it, took me a good 6 hours lol

Yeh im already thinking about going to do another one in a minute, with this weather and all aint much else to do.

Would you no any thing else I could use for the powder as here I used polystyrene and it looks ok but I think there could be somthing a little better?

thats very good for a first go,on small rounds such as this i use just files, If it was originaly cordite filled originally try using spaghetti as a substitute ive used it in a boys round i cut last week for a friend and it gives good results,all i did was break it to length lay it in the cartridge and coat with a clear drying glue to hold it together
image attached to show what i mean

Thanks for that mate, yeah I used a file to do this one worked well apart from the 2 files I snapped.

I will try your spaghetti idea the next time becuase im not to happy with the polystyrene!

p.s that cutaway in the pic looks sweet mate!

Thanks for that mate! I used a small file to make all the cuts and just low grade wet and dry to clean it up, I dident use a clamp as like you say was hard to clamp it right, I just held it with my hands, I can tell you it wasent a quick way of doing it, took me a good 6 hours lol

Yeh im already thinking about going to do another one in a minute, with this weather and all aint much else to do.

Would you no any thing else I could use for the powder as here I used polystyrene and it looks ok but I think there could be somthing a little better?

Try searching google for "black plastic granules", probably a bit bulky for SAA but would be good for larger rounds, for smaller rounds perhaps some very coarse sandpaper painted black would give the correct look?

Last edited:
Try searching google for "black plastic granules", probably a bit bulky for SAA but would be good for larger rounds, for smaller rounds perhaps some very coarse sandpaper painted black would give the correct look?

I will have a look around mate.

Thanks danny

Try a model shop that does stuff for model railways

This round probably had flake powder that was cut from a sheet. Only some British and Commonwealth cartridges used cordite.

This can be made by getting some black paper from an art shop and cutting it into little squares. It is time consuming but does work. To fix it into the case, slightly dilute PVA glue with water so it's runny but still not see through. Brush a layer of this into the bottom of the case with a paint brush and sprinkle the flakes on. Wait for it to dry and then do another layer until the case looks full enough.

Here's some various sectioned .303 I did a while ago. The blank on the right has this type of powder.

sectioned_303s_2.JPG

Good stuff thanks for showing it.
My advice is take your time, once you start cutting something that's it, you're in there.
When I sectioned an SD 2 butterfly bomb and fuze it took me several months to work out which bit to cut and where to start.
Also with small arms rounds I would think (having never sectioned any small arms things) that you'd have to be sure that the projectile you are cutting doesn't have any nasty incendiary stuff in it that could do you some damage if exposed (that goes for anything else you section of course).
Dave.

Well done all with sectioning the small rounds,they do look good and will enhance any display,plus a few "how did he do that"questions,would it be possible to achieve these results using a linishing belt,(and fireproof gloves cos friction produces heat),I though of trying this myself and wondered if anyone else had tried it and what were the results,
Cheers,
Don,

I have done this but with a file fastened down securely. I first hacksawed the case and bullet in half. I then superglued the half case and bullet together in position. I then rubbed the round back and forth across the file until the saw marks were gone. Once this was done I used fixed down 240 grit emery cloth, followed by 400 and then 1000. This produces a very smoothly finished cutaway.

Sawing them in half is the hardest part. It's easy for the blade to wander off. It is a good idea to practise first on a few cases and bullets that don't matter.