What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First War 6inch Shrapnel Internals

ben2000

Hello all,

I recently purchased a complete First World War British 6inch Shrapnel shell complete with all the internals (Thanks Richard :tinysmile_twink_t:). I've been wondering how best to display them rather than hide them away inside the shell, and decided to make a little display stand for them. I don't think it looks too bad?

Bottom to top: Powder cup (empty of course), pusher plate and flash tube (and shrapnel bullets) , felt wad, wooden block.

Enjoy,

Ben.

Attachments

• 6inch internals 028.JPG
    6inch internals 028.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 6inch internals 010.JPG
    6inch internals 010.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 85
Ben,

Your display is very nice and very interesting, and I agree, it is nice to show what is normally inside the body and doesn't get to be seen.

I have attached some outtakes from the 1915 Treatise on ammunition. If I had a nice 6 inch shrapnel, I would print out something like one of these, to put next to the real components, to help illustrate where they go and how they work.

Attachments

• 6 inch Howitzer.jpg
    6 inch Howitzer.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 6 inch GH shrapnel.jpg
    6 inch GH shrapnel.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hello Ben,

That's a damn clever method of showing the internals of your shrapnel round! Thanks for letting us see your ingenuity.

Best regards,

Randall

Dear Ben

At first Ben realy nice work a realy good idear to dont hide the iternal parts unvisible inside !
I have good idear for you to why you dont take a plastic 1 liter coke or other kind of bottle and cut this bottle in the center and put the iternal parts inside than you have the outer shap of a shell too !

Realy nice work again

wbr David

what an original idea,great!

i wonder how difficult it would be to mould or fasion a perspex/transparant shell that the parts could fit into??
hmmmm....

Great display