What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flak 2cm and 3,7cm

Stuka

Last week I tried making some cutaways of cases. I have been making cutaways of shells for some time now, and wondered whether this would be a success or not.
I took some Flak cases as I had some less impressive ones in the collection and I also had the shells for them.
The results look fine, except for the cases, but it was just a try to find out if could make something out of it.
It was, however, a lot of work to get them clamped in the milling machine and I nearly ruined both cases when they went into low earth orbit during milling :D

2cm:
25.jpg 23.jpg 22.jpg 21.jpg

3,7cm:
371.jpg 377.jpg 375.jpg 376.jpg

Hi Stuka,
I have always wanted to have a go at sectioning rounds with a milling machine after a few less than perfect jobs with hacksaw when much younger. They look really good,personally I prefer the 1/3 sectioned look like the 3,7cm you have done. The finish on the metal look great. Thanks for sharing your work with us, best Weasel.

Hi Stuka,
I have always wanted to have a go at sectioning rounds with a milling machine after a few less than perfect jobs with hacksaw when much younger. They look really good,personally I prefer the 1/3 sectioned look like the 3,7cm you have done. The finish on the metal look great. Thanks for sharing your work with us, best Weasel.
Thank you!

Very nice!.
So how did you hold them in the end?
In a two-piece milling vice, like this:

2cm1.jpg

The problem is that when I tighten the vice quite a bit, I start to bend the mouth of the case. And when I don't tighten it enough the case will take a journey to the moon, never to be seen again :D
I might try a steel case next time, I think those will hold up better.