What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flare cartridges

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi I just got these 1 inch flare cartridges and was wondering what sort of date they would be.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1030231.jpg
    P1030231.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P1030232.jpg
    P1030232.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
  • P1030233.jpg
    P1030233.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 64
I'm unsure how old they are but what is the case length? I have a tin for three red 1" Flares that is 73mm deep.

Flares

I think they are much later than that. Also, I am sure these are commercial, probably for marine use, as they have no military markings or night identification features like serrated rims or raised marks on the top wads.

Also, I would not expect to see a full company name and address on a military store.

The design did not change much until the advent of the drawn aluminium cases so they could be any date, but given the condition and general appearance my guess would be post WW2.

One clue that they are not WWI is the use of purple varnish to seal the caps.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Tony, that sounds about right given the condition and the lack of markings Thank you.
Andy

Hi
This are post-war commercial cartridges. Produced between 1965 and 1970.
best regards
Horst