What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the Mills men... Real or fake??

I am by no means a Mills man but my vote would be fake. There are just too many good fakes of these around and a piece of cake to age. I would rather know I have a fake than pay the price a real one would fetch while never being sure in my mind if it was original or not. This one does look nice but I still have to go with fake...Dano

Hi Brad

I would say fake. I have bought these on the Somme and there are a lot about. They are easy to make and after being buried in the back garden for a couple of years are 'ready for sale'. Unless it was an item put aside 90 years ago then assume 99% of these are fake (same ratio as for trench clubs).

John

Hard to tell mate. There is a chance that it may be original. The amount he is asking isn't rediculous either. I think fake ones sell for about a fiver.

If the one on sale is a rare item, how come I have one the same, from a dealer on the Somme? The rust is genuine but that's all I think.

These things would have been quickly fabricated in mild steel, which would most likely have rusted away completely after 90 years in the ground. I only bought this one because it was better than an earlier fake I'd bought!

Here's a photo of mine.

John

Attachments

• SSCN4473.JPG
    SSCN4473.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi John,

not easy to tell but i dont think you can get the same guage wire these days that they used in WW1. Same for a lot of things, similar, yes, but not zakly the same. Difficult to tell with the rust.
Probly go for a lot though.

Andy

PS, hope you are well, all ok so far here.
A

Here are a couple of my hooks, the larger of the 2 is a repro for sure and made of a thicker wire. The smaller one is much better made according to a metalurgist mate.
The 2nd piccy[sorry about the quality] should show the slight diference in the wire, the L/H hook is slightly thinner. Is it original? Who knows but it could be.

Andy

Attachments

• Bombers hooks 3.jpg
    Bombers hooks 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 12
  • Bombers Hook 4.jpg
    Bombers Hook 4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 13