What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fort Elizabeth Jersey.

Chris 42 RQ

I have just been going over some of my old photo's and found this one that has survived the passing of time rather well.
Taken at Fort Elizabeth Castle out in the bay near St Helier in Jersey.

Sometime in 1982 :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Attachments

• forum a1.jpg
    forum a1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi Chris,
You are bringing back fond memories for me. Although now living in Cornwall since 1988, I was born in Jersey.
I spent many memorable times in the castle as a kid in the fifties, an later as a teen.
I remember the chap in the ticket box at the entrance, he would always let us local kids in free of charge, especially when we just wanted to pass through the castle on our way to the breakwater to go fishing. I must admit, the inside of the castle is a lot different to what it was way back then. As we used to say, the old girl has has a face lift.

Mike.

Lovely place.

Hi Jerseymic I think you are a really lucky man to be able to "go home" if you so choose.
Every time I go there I fall in love with the place as it is just bristling with militaria hidden away all over the place.

I have some more pictures but am unsure whether or not I have already put them on the forum-I will have a look and if not will post them!

I have just been going over some of my old photo's and found this one that has survived the passing of time rather well.
Taken at Fort Elizabeth Castle out in the bay near St Helier in Jersey.

Sometime in 1982 :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Good photo Chris, I have a photo of the same gun taken from the same angle, except there are about 20 people standing in the way - you did well to go on a quiet day.
Dave.

Hi Chris,
Yes I may be lucky to go home if I choose, but I would have to win the lottery first!
The property prices back home just keep going up and up, a lot more than I could afford.
You are right about the militaria, although there is nowhere near as much about now as there was 50 years ago. Back in the fifties and sixties it was literally everywhere, mainly German stuff left over from the occupation, as the saying goes, if only I knew then what I know now!! c'est la vie.
Mike.

Love Jersey !

Hi Chris,
Yes I may be lucky to go home if I choose, but I would have to win the lottery first!
The property prices back home just keep going up and up, a lot more than I could afford.
You are right about the militaria, although there is nowhere near as much about now as there was 50 years ago. Back in the fifties and sixties it was literally everywhere, mainly German stuff left over from the occupation, as the saying goes, if only I knew then what I know now!! c'est la vie.
Mike.

Yes Mike we would all like a big slice of "hindsight" then we could all be rolling in it !
We are I hope going to go camping in Jersey during next year if we can afford it and I shall take all my camera gear plus torches etc as it would be too good an opportunity to miss.
I think it very bad that the locals are more or less "priced out" of their homes once they leave:banghead:

Hi Chris,
My wife and I go back each year and stay with friends, meet up with all my old buddies and visit bunkers and tunnels etc. There are plenty about off the tourist track if you know where to look. The famous tunnel in St. Peters valley (Route De L'Aleval) seems to be open now for anyone to take a look, (a good torch and backup and a good pair of boots needed!!) not the Jersey War tunnels (underground hospital) Also there is the excellent Channel Island Museum behind the Chateau Plaisir pub at the end of the five mile road in St. Ouen, full of German and occupation memoriblia, probably the best on the rock, privately owned.
I must take some photos next time, never think of it really, being brought up with it all, I suppose one takes it for granted.

Mike.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Chris,
My wife and I go back each year and stay with friends, meet up with all my old buddies and visit bunkers and tunnels etc. There are plenty about off the tourist track if you know where to look. The famous tunnel in St. Peters valley (Route De L'Aleval) seems to be open now for anyone to take a look, (a good torch and backup and a good pair of boots needed!!) not the Jersey War tunnels (underground hospital) Also there is the excellent Channel Island Museum behind the Chateau Plaisir pub at the end of the five mile road in St. Ouen, full of German and occupation memoriblia, probably the best on the rock, privately owned.
I must take some photos next time, never think of it really, being brought up with it all, I suppose one takes it for granted.

Mike.

Thanks for the info Mike, I spotted what appeared to be another very large tunnel complex onthe other side of the valley to the famous underground hospital but sadly it was firmly shut with a very heavy steel gate-like most things I found over there.
The sites have been out on the visitation list.

Also I have looked back at my posts and it appears that I have not put the guns on here so will do so shortly.

Hi Chris,
The tunnel complex you mention is the one I am talking about at Route De L'Aleval or as we locals call it, the German Road. In the old days it wasn't a road at all, just a valley with a track up the middle, just as the Germans left it. When we were there this year the steel gates were open. I know the guy who lives in the cottage opposite the tunnel, his parents (now deceased) lived there all through the occupation, they had a few stories to tell, and a lot of goodies hidden away!!

Mike.

Hidden goodies !

Hi Chris,
The tunnel complex you mention is the one I am talking about at Route De L'Aleval or as we locals call it, the German Road. In the old days it wasn't a road at all, just a valley with a track up the middle, just as the Germans left it. When we were there this year the steel gates were open. I know the guy who lives in the cottage opposite the tunnel, his parents (now deceased) lived there all through the occupation, they had a few stories to tell, and a lot of goodies hidden away!!

Mike.
Well Mick I hope that his parents put those hidden goodies to good use and hopefully they will be in circulation as we speak:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Any way here we go with a fe:angel:w pictures of various guns out on the coastline of Jersey-some of which are still there.
Pictures 1 and 2 are of what I think may been an 8 inch barrel and Breech block which have een "Blown" and just left.
The next two pictures are of Barrels that have been recovered from the sea at the bottom of cliffs at "Les Landes" by (I think) members of the Jersey Militaria society (my hat comes off to those gentlemen for there perseverence on the recovery) and they have restored as closely as possible one of the barrels on a mount which they have partially fabricated as well as using parts of the original carriage.
I have one or two more pictures which I will dig out some time soon.

Attachments

• bocn 1a.JPG
    bocn 1a.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 7
  • bocn 2a.JPG
    bocn 2a.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 7
  • bocn 3a.JPG
    bocn 3a.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 9
  • bocn 4a.JPG
    bocn 4a.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Nice photos Chris, those guns at Les landes had been down the bottom of the cliff since the occupation. Many people had tried, and failed, over the years to bring them to the top, even scrap metel dealers from the U.K. so I believe. But as you say the society finally go them up!! hats off to them.

Mike.

I totally agree Miguel. We had an old occupation museum in Jersey I remember from when I was a youngster, and I am now nearly sixty one. A couple of years ago the owner died, and instead of the states (government) of Jersey buying the collection to display and keep in the island, it went to auction in the U.K. It was sad that the island lost some unique occupation memoribilia.

Mike.