What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fort Nelson / Royal Armouries

StielGr

I see that a number of members have been posting their holiday snaps so to jump on the bandwagon I have decided to post some of my pictures from my visit to Fort Nelson this summer.
Must people will know but as a reminder the fort was built in the 2nd half of the 1800s and is situated just on the hills above Portsmouth Harbour.

The collection has a lot of interesting Victorian stuff but I went mainly to see the Royal Amouries collection of WW2 artillery guns.

I will start with the 14 inch outside and as time permits move to some of the stuff inside.

I hope you will find it enjoyable.

PC

Just outside the entrance is a large 14 inch gun and projectile. These were made from 1939 to 1946 for King George V Battleship class. An example would be the HMS Prince of Wales which took part in the sinking of the Bismarck.

Attachments

• Fort Nelson [2].jpg
    Fort Nelson [2].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Fort Nelson [3].jpg
    Fort Nelson [3].jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Fort Nelson [4].jpg
    Fort Nelson [4].jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Fort Nelson [5].jpg
    Fort Nelson [5].jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Fort Nelson [1].jpg
    Fort Nelson [1].jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
In the main Galleries which used to be the main Barrack Rooms there is an excellent progressive display to show the development of artillery.

One of the items I found of interest was the armour plate sections from a Sherman tank. They demonstrate the effect of 2 pdr and 6 pdr projectiles.
You see the damage the 2 pdr AP projectiles did but I was curious why the 6 pdr AP did not go the full way through.

Attachments

• Entrance [1].jpg
    Entrance [1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 49
  • 2 pdr [2].jpg
    2 pdr [2].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 & 6 pdr tests [3].jpg
    2 & 6 pdr tests [3].jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 2 & 6 pdr test side view [4].jpg
    2 & 6 pdr test side view [4].jpg
    85 KB · Views: 83
  • 2 pdr internal view [5].jpg
    2 pdr internal view [5].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 89
Wow, a very interesting place! Thanks for sharing with us. Very excellent photos. Looking forward to more, if you have them.

I spent a day there last month as i live not too far from portsmouth. It was a great day out, very interesting and lots to see. I look foward to going back again soon. Next time i will be sure to take my camera!

Excellent

some of them were likely fired at different loadings and velocities. I saw a comment someplace that said nothing is learned from the shots that go clean through, the other ones show you what is stopped and so on.

some of them were likely fired at different loadings and velocities.

Thank you for the information about the tests.

I would also like to thank everyone for the interest so far. It takes a bit of time to sort and size the pictures so it is good to know the work is appreciated.

The area of most interest to me was the Artillery Hall. This is a prefabricated structure next to the WW2 magazines. I have added a set of pictures of interest to most members. They show the British 3.7inch anti-aircraft and the German 8.8cm with 2 shells to finish.
It is said the 3.7inch was a better weapon but more complicated and of course the big mistake was the delay in using it in a ground attack role.
The 3.7inch was made by Vickers Armstrong limited and came into service in 1939.
The 8.8cm was made by Krupp and started service in 1933 as the 8.8cm Flak 18.

Attachments

• 3.7inch AA gun [1].jpg
    3.7inch AA gun [1].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.7inch & 8.8cm HE [5].jpg
    3.7inch & 8.8cm HE [5].jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 8.8cm Flak [4].jpg
    8.8cm Flak [4].jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 8.8cm Flak [3].jpg
    8.8cm Flak [3].jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.7inch AA gun [2].jpg
    3.7inch AA gun [2].jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 35
A few more items from the Artillery Hall.
  1. 25 pounder with shiny bits for ceremonial duties at HM Tower of London
  2. 6 pounder airborne version for aircraft/glider transport.
  3. 18 pounder WW1
  4. 45mm Russian anti tank. A copy of the German 3.7cm Pak
  5. 7.5cm Pak 41. Very rare squeeze-bore gun

Attachments

• 25 pdr [1].jpg
    25 pdr [1].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 6 pdr airborne [2].jpg
    6 pdr airborne [2].jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 18 pdr WW1 [3].jpg
    18 pdr WW1 [3].jpg