What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found in a cemetery

satan18

Hear is a rather nice lump of schrapnel that i found in 1986.

Before i worked in the building and engineering industry i was a JCB

operator in The City of London Cemetery,which Backs on to the main

railway line between Ilford and Manor park E12.

The Cemetery covers some 211 acres with two cremetoriums,one church and a non conformist chapel.

There is a catacoombes shaped like a big horse shoe and is in an earth embankment,which was allegedly targeted by german bombers,as my old foreman found a lump of 3.7 projectile steel wedged into the roof in the 50s.

When i started there in the very early eighties most of the old staff were still there and could remember the cemetery during WW2.

Along the railway lines which covered most of the wanstead flats were
rail mounted anti aircraft guns which were hidden in tunnels until the air raids took place.

The vast area of land in front of the railway was dedicated to the comunual graves and state burial land,and even the overspill from the chollera victims.

I was driving my vehicle across the land with grass tyres fitted when i actually felt this under my tyre,and thats a seven ton vehicle.

I can only assume its the top of a 3.7 but could someone enlighten me
please.

Attachments

• CEMETERY FINDS 001.jpg
    CEMETERY FINDS 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 101
  • CEMETERY FINDS 002.jpg
    CEMETERY FINDS 002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 76
  • CEMETERY FINDS 003.jpg
    CEMETERY FINDS 003.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi Phil,

Its a rocket fuze there is some stuff on it in the forum mate have to take a look.

Nice fuze Phil, it makes you realise that all these AA rounds that go up have to come down somewhere mostly in lots of pieces, something like that on your head is going to be really bad for you.
Dave.

Nice fuze Phil, it makes you realise that all these AA rounds that go up have to come down somewhere mostly in lots of pieces, something like that on your head is going to be really bad for you.
Dave.

Cheers Dave
And to think it was laying on the surface until the eighties and no one
bothered to pick it up,makes me feel like going for a wander again as the amount of action there was around there was frightening hense After the Battle,Epping forest then and now:tinysmile_grin_t:

Best phil