What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fragmentation lines

Aah, the age old debate on whether or not the fragmentation lines on a grenade work? Well on the image here of my m1915 German Kugel grenade, that is partially exploded, at least shows that the frag lines "tried" to work. With metal objects, especially cast iron, there are many casting defects/flaws etc.... A grenade as well as just about anything else is only as strong as it's weakest link. As you can see on the Kugel the grenade tried real hard to completly burst along the frag lines, but (at least I think) it blew out the side where it was weakest. i think in a perfect world, that if there were no casting flaws/defects, that a totally uniform grenade would burst completly on the lines. Well, anyway that's the way I see it. Any comments, pro or con are definately welcomed, as i've heard many times that the frag lines were basiclly worthless? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
fragger

There are a nuber of internally frag lined grenades out there, unfortunately I have no data on their effectivness. Folks have been debating over this as long as collecting has been around. I used to have the top 1/2 of a #5 MKI Mills that was blow in half right on the line, Yi dunno...Dano

Last edited:
I know I have some test documentation somewhere that goes between the two, I just have to find it. Internal fragmentation works better and most developed countries have gravitated towards that.

internal segments

I hope you do find it Eodtek, as i'm really interested in seeing it. Internally segmented grenades have been around over a hundred years and i'd like to see the reasoning as to why it's better. I still tend to think that any time you are dealing with cast iron, the casting flaws/defects will nail you every time..Dan

Well on the image here of my m1915 German Kugel grenade, that is partially exploded, at least shows that the frag lines "tried" to work.

Here are pictures relating to the fragmentation created by the Japanese Type 91/97 and the US MK II.

Attachments

• chapter5figure203.jpg
    chapter5figure203.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 8
  • chapter5figure213.jpg
    chapter5figure213.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 12
Come on waff, you gotta have some input. Layin' it off on the others like that. Shameful.

lol! No,i would rather let you grenade wallahs have a go at it. ;)

Im sure though that there were some other charts posted on BOCN ages ago showing frag ranges of grenade tests?

W