What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 20x102 ammunition

cornman

Who of the members can provide me pictures of 20x102 rounds which are of French manufactor? France seems to have produced (or still is) 20x102 rounds with brass and steel casings. I`d like to know if there is a difference in projectiles if they are placed on brass or on steel casings.
Are the steel rounds used in the same weapon as the ones with brass casings?
Is there a reason that there are rounds with two different casing materials, or is the steel casing a replacement for the brass casing?
If you guys have pictures of these French rounds, either in your own collection, either gathered around the years , please show them!

Best regards, Cornman

Thanks for the post so far. For the others; please don`t hesitate to post more pictures.
The Manurhin book looks very interesting. Like to have it on the bookshelf!

Best regards, Cornman

Nobody has French 20x102 rounds in their collection?? If so please share them with me/us!

Regards, Cornman

We need to ask the French but there were also ground based systems.

Not only the French used ground based systems. The Belgians also used them under the name 'VADS' (Vulcan Air Defence System) but i'm not certain we had blanks for them.

Correct, the US also had such systems.

Blanks for aircraft guns:
For some reason there are German WWII manuals mentioning blanks for 20mm aircraft guns.

Maybe the blanks be used to test the circuits for electrically fired guns? .Or as in the Oerlikon blank as a barrel clearing round?

cheers
Bob

You mean the German ones? I do not think so since they had full weight break up projectiles on (to aid feeding and cycle the weapon mechanizm) and were explicitely declared blanks. If I recall it right there were MG FF blanks, so no electric primer there. So far I have never seen a real one, will mean that if at all only few got made.

The Oerlikon (and other) clearing charges usually have a shortened neck to fit the chamber and come clear from the stuck projectile.