What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37-MM X 94

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Question on the French 37-MM X 94 cartridge and projectile.
I am looking for the official designation of the round. I do believe it should be 94R, but I am not positive on that.
What is the propelling charge weight as well as the main charge weight?
Also, what is the fuze designation and does anyone have a good internal drawing of it?

Lastly, is there a good book out on these rounds?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• Round.JPG
    Round.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Fuze.JPG
    Fuze.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 45
The shell is the "Obus ordinaire de 37mm en fonte modèle.1888" ("37mm common cast-iron shell model.1888").
Filled with black powder and originally for naval use against torpedo-boats, but later transitioned to land (and air!) use as well and kept as training ammunition all the way until WW2, when the French tanks such as the Renault R.35 and Hotchkiss H.35 were still using the WW1 vintage Puteaux SA 18 L/21 chambered in 37x94mmR as their main armament (and we can assume this use continued postwar with some of these tanks seeing action in the 1947-49 Palestine War)

The fuse is the "Fusée percutante Desmarest modèle 1877, pour obus en fonte de 37 mm et 47 mm de la Marine" ("Percussion fuze Desmarest model 1877 for cast-iron navy shells in 37mm and 47mm"). It's a pretty basic design with a wooden block with a metal firing pin being held over the primer by a couple of brass pins, without any safety device whatsoever. Weatherproofing is by a layer of shellac in the tip of the fuze.

Attachments

• image910.jpg
    image910.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0001 2.jpg
    IMG_0001 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0002 2.jpg
    IMG_0002 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 44
  • numari35.jpg
    numari35.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Fusée française Desmarest_Page_7.jpg
    Fusée française Desmarest_Page_7.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 46
It was in use for arial purposes in both engine mounted cannon and larger free mounted cannon. But not with the Desmaresk fuze which would be
useless against fabric covered targets.

Attachments

• FR-37x94Plate.jpg
    FR-37x94Plate.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Fr37-02Ariel.jpg
    Fr37-02Ariel.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 27
Question on the French 37-MM X 94 cartridge and projectile.
I am looking for the official designation of the round. I do believe it should be 94R, but I am not positive on that.
What is the propelling charge weight as well as the main charge weight?
Also, what is the fuze designation and does anyone have a good internal drawing of it?

Lastly, is there a good book out on these rounds?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe this is one of the best (only?) attempts to cover all 37mm that I am aware of. There is supposed to be a third volume in the works that moves through WWII, but as with many of these efforts, poor health may get in the way. These have been available at SLICS normally, but dropping off quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
I don't expect to see a third, there is enough additions to what has been done and the odd correction that a fourth would be feasable.