What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37mm AP?

ordnance

Premium Member
This interesting round turned up at the recent Tulsa gun show. Even though it was incomplete I knew it had to go home with me.

The one pounder rounds from WWI were very popular souvenirs with American troops and have probably seen a hundred or more of them over the years, but have never seen one dated 1940 or one with this type of projectile.

I assume this type of projectile, with a hardened steel core, was developed to give a little potency to obsolete and underpowered WWI cannons. Yes? Is much know about its development and use?

I heard somewhere that this would have had a magnesium windscreen screwed on via the left hand threads surrounding the core. Does anyone have any good line drawings of the windscreen or perhaps photos of a complete round. Thanks.

Rick

Attachments

• PICT0733.jpg
    PICT0733.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT0732.jpg
    PICT0732.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0731.jpg
    PICT0731.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 73
I have a sectioned (1/4) you could measure next time you are in town.

37 mm Mle 1935

Effectively, this shell had a magnesium cover. On impact, it produced a white flash for marking the hit and had eventually a incendiary effect.
It was used with the 37 mm SA gun on light tanks.
The magnesium cover brought problems on stockage.

Sorry, I've been away from a working computer for a few days while traveling. Thanks to all for the responses and great information. Now to find some magnesium and machine the remaining part.

Rick