What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37mm canister rounds - How Rare ?

They are not common, but appear every once in a while. There are 37mm x 94R and 37mm x 202R around of various French models. There are German, and Austro-Hungarian models that I have found, Also. finding them with the original balls is much rarer. Cost ranges between $150 to $250 for the French, more if they have the balls. German and AH much rarer, and cost considerably more. As usual, prices varies with condition and visions of rarity of the seller!!! There has been one on Gun Broker for over a year with no takers.

Just looked at the picture, and it looks like an Austro-Hungarian SHRAPNEL SHELL for the M15 Skoda trench gun, which I have never seen before. New surprises are the fun of collecting. Except for the poor , dug condition,this is a very pricy round which would sell for whatever someone would pay for it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

s
koda tre

On second look, from the fuze looks more like a French larger caliber shell. I had assumed that it was 37mm and therefore made a AH ID I did not scroll down far enough. and so what I was looking, it was. So much for euphoria!!!!

Last edited:
They are not common, but appear every once in a while. There are 37mm x 94R and 37mm x 202R around of various French models. There are German, and Austro-Hungarian models that I have found, Also. finding them with the original balls is much rarer. Cost ranges between $150 to $250 for the French, more if they have the balls. German and AH much rarer, and cost considerably more. As usual, prices varies with condition and visions of rarity of the seller!!! There has been one on Gun Broker for over a year with no takers.

That's quite a mark up on a more conventional 37mm !!...Let's hope I can pick one up cheaply somewhere. Thanks for the info

The one shown has the letter M on the tip, this is the French model 1908 37mm, this is the secound most common kind, though mostly found empty usually in a Px 1909-1913 (Puteaux) case. The most common is the French Model 1880 wich looks the same except it's 4mm shorter and doesn't have the M on it. Made by Puteaux, there are a fair number of these found in the U.S. for some reason, usually full. They run around (or should) $125 an empty Mle 1908 should be the same, but there has been one of the latter on Gunbroker for well over a year with an extreme price on it, it won't sell. After this they start to get scarce , but things seem to show up in clumps, you don't see one for years then you see three in two months~. Have patience