What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 47mm Shell and Projectile ID Assistance

Legion

Hello,

I was hoping to get some information on this item. Have read other posts suggesting that a similar shell was used in a French airplane gun, though I understand the R to indicate a revolving type gun. The head stamp on this is 47 R. MA. I. 10 8-17. No markings on the projectile, the cap is solid metal and projectile is hollow with some gray paint. Base of projectile is solid with a small raised bump. Shell is 140mm high and shorter than the projectile.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Legion

Attachments

• pro1.jpg
    pro1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 66
Have it listed as 47x139R "Hotchkiss revolver / Mle 1934 ?" I have seen one with an anti-tank projectile, will look for image

Hello.

Perharps the model 1888 (or 1888 Modified), but I can't ID the fuze. May you add more pictures (especially the fuze) ?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
There will be a difference between the Revolving Cannon projectile in 47mm and the Higher velocity 3Pr kind which will have the same kind of band but be longer.