What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 65mm Mountain gun canister projectiles

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are what I believe to be a pair of canister projectiles for the Canon de 65 de Montagne modele 1906. Found in a French antique shop and a perfect fit for the 65x167mm cases. The projectiles are 250mm long and pictured against the relatively common 37mm canister round. I was surprised at the size of these projectiles, but if used in a colonial context having a good anti-personnel option would have been useful. Glad to have your comments and confirmation of my identification.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 51
Hello,

First time I hear about a french 65mm canister. If it's not a fake, very interesting !?

Regards

Hi Minenaz
I don't think that they are fake as they came from a general antiques dealer and he had no idea what they were. No attempt to charge a high price. There is a lot of work in producing these, especially the base cut-outs which make them difficult to stand up, for me ruling out home made. I went for the French 65mm as they came from France, any thoughts on the Italian 65mm mountain gun?

regards Steve

I thought to post another couple of pictures to help the identification process, both weigh 400g

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 32