What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 75mm Cartridge Headstamp Question

Carlisle

I would appreciate very much learning the meaning of the markings on a 75mm cartridge obtained by my grandfather in France during the Great War. Two sets of markings: 75 DE C and PD.Ps 268 L 18Ky The "s" and the "y" are about half the size of the other letters and positioned so they are aligned with the top of the larger letters, and both have a dash (or underline) beneath them. Also, clearly not lettering, it has two small adjacent indents or tool marks (about one-eighth inch high) about one-half inch in from the edge of the cartridge base. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the possible origins of these markings.
Thanks very much in advance for your assistance.

Carlisle,

Nice item, great to know the family story behind it.

75 DE C stands for 75 De Campaign = 75mm field artillery

The rest pertains to case maker and lot designation, PD.Ps = Pinchart Deny Paris or Poudrerie de Paris depending on the source, , lot 268, 1918. (Subject to correction!)

Brian

Last edited:
Carlisle, I want just to complete the reply of bdgreen.
Marking on french cases for the Army is as follows:
At 12 o'clock the calibre, here 75DE C: 75 de campagne as said by bdgreen.
At 6 o'clock the maker of the case: PDPs identified as Pinchard et Denys Paris, then the number of the lot, L for LOT, then year of production (18-2621-Ky.jpg all that said by bdgreen ) and to end the metal's supplier. I don't know who is Ky.
I join a photo of a stamping identical to your except the lot.
Regards,
Dandebur.

Really appreciate your help and expertise. Thanks very much. I have another piece or two I'll get out to the basement for identification help. Thanks, again.