What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 75mm gas shell colours....

starshell

Premium Member
Hello,

Despite having a good look around, I am struggling to find information on First war period French 75mm gas shells. I am specifically looking for information on colour schemes and also the stencilling/ typeface which they may have displayed. I have a French 75mm which I am looking to restore as a gas variant and would appreciate any help from members in finding out more about how such a shell would look.

Many thanks in advance!
D

marquages.jpg

"Sur le haut du projectile : numéro code de la substance utilisée, Initiales de la même substance, atelier de chargement.
Marquage couleur :
Les obus spéciaux sont peints en vert
Une bande blanche : Toxique fugace nébuleux
Deux bandes blanches : Toxique fugace gazeux
Une bande jaune-orange : Toxique persistant d'agressivité immédiate
Deux bandes jaune-orange : Toxique persistant d'agressivité retardée.

Les obus chargés en toxique fugace portent ainsi une ou deux couronnes blanches (4B, 5 et 8 : une couronne ; 4, deux couronnes)
Les obus chargés en toxique persistant portent une couronne jaune-orange (sauf ceux chargés avant le 1er janvier 1918)
Les obus de n°5 de 75mm employés pour le réglage des tirs effectués avec des obus n°9 ou 20 ne comportent pas de fumigène et recoivent en outre une étoile jaune-orange
Les obus chargés en Ypérite portent deux couronnes jaune-orange
Pour tous les calibres, le numéro de l'obus est peint sur l'ogive. Ce numéro est reproduit sur le culot, la douille et les cartouches de 75
Les lettres placées au dessous du numéro de l'obus sont les initiales des produits employés. Ceux contenant un fumigène portent également l'initial de celui-ci. Exemple : MO pour Martonite et O pour Opacite
Les marques placés en troisième ligne indiquent l'atelier et la date du chargement. Les marquages d'atelier disparaissent après octobre 1918 pour être remplacés par des lettres code conventionnelles."

The following table recapitulates schematically the colour and markings of the French 75mm shells
color_10 Obus 75.jpg color_11 Obus 75.jpg

I never found a ww1 chemical shell with original green paint.
French chemical shell I saw in collection seem to have a too bright green.
No reference for the original color that could match a RAL today.
Color on this image could be good, maybe a little darker with the years (not sure if it's original)

75MM CHEM.jpg

Many thanks for the great information Minenaz16, especially the image of the shell with original colour. This is a very good start!
Much appreciated!
D

I have a question: Did French chemical shell have a filling plug in the side?
I never found a ww1 chemical shell with original green paint.
French chemical shell I saw in collection seem to have a too bright green.
No reference for the original color that could match a RAL today.
Color on this image could be good, maybe a little darker with the years (not sure if it's original)

View attachment 174894

Oh wow, never seen that image of an original paint French gas shell before. And it has the bevelled adaptor as well, which was only used with gas shells to create a better seal.

The markings tell this was filling No.5 CO, or 75% phosgene (Collingite/Collongite) and 25% stannic chloride (Opacite). The single white line marks it as "fugace" or "non persistent" gas.

Here is one more page about French gas shells I had on my hdd from a German manual showing the V4 (Vincennite - a combination of 50% hydrogen cyanide, 30% arsenic trichloride, 15% stannic chloride and 5% chloroform - two white lines because it's "toxic" and "non persistent") filling and a picture showing the YT (Yperite - mustard gas- two orange lines meaning "persistent" and "delayed effect") filling located at the Demining Museum of the Ballon D'Alsace sourced from the net - the paint is most likely not original but it's a pretty good facsimile:

Frz_Gasgranaten.jpg france-territoire-de-belfort-ballon-d-alsace-summit-tourism-house-HWD7H3.jpg

Last edited:
The bevelled adaptor was used with9C452C0F-5E3F-4D73-BD11-2504F5903B26.jpg conventional projectiles as well. The difference was that with a conventional projo, a metal pin was inserted into the adaptor.