What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French artillery fuze?

navyman

Hello,
I've recently bought a fuze, believed to be French. It comes to pieces easily except for the large slotted screw at the top of the projectile. Despite much soaking in WD40 and making a tool to fit the slot precisely, this refuses to move. After the last effort and another clean I've noticed what looks like a locking pin driven in to one side only. I need to find out if; (a) this is a locking pin?
(b) can I drill it out (micro-drill), and release the threaded top?
(c) I am completely wrong?
I will attach some pic's to illustrate, providing they are clear enough!
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• faf2.jpg
    faf2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 51
  • faf3.jpg
    faf3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
  • faf4.jpg
    faf4.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 50
  • faf1.jpg
    faf1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 44
Hello Navyman, the one sided pin is a locking pin only for the top slotted threadedplug. Once you drill this out , the top plug can be unscrewed. underneath is the striker plate screwed into the fuze body, which can be unscrewed after the top plug is removed. (you can see the striker pin at the inside end of the fuze.
By the way, the fuze you have there is an artillery nose impact fuze, the original French nomenclature is: " Fusee Detonateur Percutante de 24/31mm Modele 1899-1915, Systeme Robin ".
Mrfuze, USA

HI

Any pictures, where I drill this screw.

Attachments

• DSCF6005 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6005 (Medium).JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF6008 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6008 (Medium).JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 51
Hello Mrfuse and Pascal,
Thank you for that information. I had wondered why that screw refused to budge despite being soaked in WD40 for ten days. The soaking did however lift the dirt from the key slots which was when I noticed the pin. So today I will get the micro drills out and do some gentle surgery!
Thanks again, how did I ever cope before finding BOCN?
Cheers,
navyman.

note, it's not necessary to unscrew this to dismantle the fuze ! This screw just remove the top screw and the firing pin

I have this only...

normal_fuse_French_1899_1915_wz_24_31.jpg

full view:

http://trizna.ru/galerea/albums/userpics/fuse_French_1899_1915_wz_24_31.jpg

Cheers!

Eugene.

Unfortunalty, I can't read russian language, but I like your drawings.

More on French fuze

Hello again,
Thanks for your interest and the drawing. I have drilled out the pin starting with a 0.85 mm micro drill to make a pilot hole and then gradually increased the hole size, but am still unable to remove the nose screw.
As I don't want to damage the slot I've put the fuze back in the WD40 bowl after trying heating it with with a blowtorch.

Pascal,
I don't quite understand when you say it's not neccessary to remove the pin in order to undo the nose screw? It's a bit late now as I drilled it before I got back to the computer and found these replies.

I think I will have to make a new tool to fit the screw slot using mild steel. The one I tried was made of brass and was not strong enough. I will print off the drawing and have a close look at the mechanism.
All advice welcome,
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• faf 1a.jpg
    faf 1a.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
  • faf 3a.jpg
    faf 3a.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 31
Pascal,
I don't quite understand when you say it's not neccessary to remove the pin in order to undo the nose screw?

I say it because you can remove the "budin" mechanism through the bottom of the fuze (but, it may be more difficult). Take a look to the second picture.

And, so, it's not absolutly necessary to remove the top of the fuze.

Attachments

• DSCF6009 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6009 (Medium).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF6012 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF6012 (Medium).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF5977 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5977 (Medium).JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 38
Other kinds 1899 Robin fuzes.

-The Robin 1899 1915 second modele. (seems a PR fuze)
-The Lejay-Robin 1899 (or 1899-1908) (with black top)

Attachments

• DSCF5963 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5963 (Medium).JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF5964 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5964 (Medium).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF5970 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5970 (Medium).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF5975 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5975 (Medium).JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF5987 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5987 (Medium).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks Pascal,
I can now see what you mean. It looks a bit tricky to get that out, is it just a push fit, I don't see any screw threads in the picture? Can you explain the "Budin" mechanism?
Thank you for your help,
Guy.

Hello

It will be difficult to explain, because my english language... but I can try.

In step 1, the shell is launched. All parts move back. The big strip is blocked with the bottom part of the cylinder.

In step 2, the inertie slow (the shell is out the weapon). The big spring move front the two strips, but it will be blocked with the top part of the cylinder (there is the primer in this cylinder).

The fuze is now armed.

Note, there is a small spring between the cylinder and the back.

When impact, (step 3) the cylinder go forward and hit the firing pin.

Attachments

• Dscf5976.jpg
    Dscf5976.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF5983 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF5983 (Medium).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
Hi

All my apologize : it's not Budin, but Robin mechanism. (the budin is another mechanism in fuzes).

Last edited: