What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French balls

A relitively simple question. I was just thumbing through Delhomme's WW1 grenade book and it is written in French. Anyway the French ball grenades I see m1847, m1882 and the m1914 bracelet ball. I obviously know the m1914 body is threaded for the fuze, but was wondering if the models 1847 and 1882 were threaded also or did the wooden fuses simply force fit into an unthreaded body. I am aware the earlier balls were used in the war but this is a question I have....Dano

hi dan.
there are no threads, the wood fuze was just hammered in.
no idea if this worked ok. you would have thought the fuze would just pop out like a champagne cork?
cheers, paul.

interesting thread
Ive seen demolition chaps block up the hole at the back of a charge with a lump of clay when blowing concrete colums,i always thought it would blow out straight away,but it doesnt.

Maybe its the same with these wooden plugs for early grenades.
Keeps the presure in long enough for the body to break.

I love the wooden plugs,some of em have just a length of fuze sticking out!
Anyone got any more images of wooden fuze's??

My balls!

heres a pic of my balls:tinysmile_grin_t:
hope you like them.
a few have wooden fuzes.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• various ball grenades.jpg
    various ball grenades.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 38
  • wood fuzes.jpg
    wood fuzes.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 29
  • wood fuzes 2.jpg
    wood fuzes 2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 28
heres a pic of my balls:tinysmile_grin_t:
hope you like them.
a few have wooden fuzes.
cheers, paul.

hi paul
i love it when you get your balls out for me.
thanks for showing me your fantastic balls!
there great.

doug:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I especially like the wooden plug models, reminds me of the bomb Boris carried on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show...Dano

Gosh Paul you have more balls than me. I only have two.:tinysmile_classes_t