What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Brandt WW1 60mm pneumatic mortar fuze repair

Well, though not a major undertaking my next project will be repairing the fuze on my Brandt pneumatic French WW1 mortar. It is made from a very brittle alloy and as can be seen in photo it has deteriorated somewhat. Where to go from here? There is an epoxy out about the same color that comes in a roll. The resin is outside the roll with the hardener on the inner part. You tear off a piece aprox. the size you need and knead the doughy epoxy until it properly mixes. Was thinking of using this epoxy and "roughing in" the general shape, then Dremel it to the proper shape. Well anyway that is the idea I have in my head, then of course properly color finish it. Any suggestions or entirely other ideas would be most welcome and appreciated. Another method I use is molding, but you need a good fuze to make a clay mold from. After the mold id made fill it with 5 minute runny expox and wa la there it is. Really actually fishing for better idea(s) here..........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 129.jpg
    Picture 129.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 33
  • Picture 130.jpg
    Picture 130.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Your fuze is not that bad. Most I see are much worse if not completely crumbled away. If it were mine, I would do nothing and keep looking for a superior example if you are not happy with this one. Just my 2 cents worth. Pat

Brandt French WWI pneumatic mortar projectile

I'm with you Pat as I think i'll leave it as is. The fuze displays great from 1 side, Well enough in fact I won't even search for another example. Wonder what type of alloy the fuze was made from (seems like peanut brittle). I am really proud to have acquired this French WWI Brandt pneumatic mortar projo as they just aren't around. Thanks for the input......Dano

Attachments

• Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture%20727.jpg
    Picture%20727.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I believe the alloy was a combination of zinc, dirt, and dog droppings. I have seen no alloy that degrades worse than what was used on these Brandt rounds. Pat