What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Grenade Part?

Millsman

Premium Member
Have recently found this in a collectors spares box.

It looks French is well made and heavy at 175 grams, It's in three parts. A grenade type aluminium part, a brass retaining 'clip' and a heavy brass nut.

When the nut is fitted there is no place for the aluminium part to attach anywhere unless the brass nut was inside a 'body'?

It has RY2 moulded on the side of the aluminium part. An RY2 was a French car!

A mystery object so far.

RSCN0905.jpgRSCN0906.JPGRSCN0904.JPG

Hello,
The body of this igniter looks indeed like the French Mle 35. The internal mechanism is identical (see attached photo), but the marking is unknown to me. RYN, AEM, ATS, SAE,MEC,AZV,DJ2, EB2 but no RY2.... The other parts, under the igniter tell me nothing. Maybe a trapping system for special loading grenades. Sorry, I don't have more.
Regard
Regar35 a coupes 011.jpg

That's very useful. Could it be a booby trap device rather than a thrown grenade?

Hello,
Sorry for the delay! If this system is French, it is certain that it has not equipped a regulatory grenade. Is it a part of another weapon system or simply an igniter for the trap, honestly, I don't know.

Regard

Hello,
Sorry for the delay! If this system is French, it is certain that it has not equipped a regulatory grenade. Is it a part of another weapon system or simply an igniter for the trap, honestly, I don't know.

Regard

I agree. It's far too heavy to be part of a normal grenade.