What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French pre-WW1 75mm case

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is a Hotchkiss made 75mm case, interesting with the Made in France stamping. From the nature of the headstamp I would suspect that this is pre-1900 and probably made for export. The length is 297mm, rim 91mm and mouth about 75mm with some damage. Pictured alongside a French 75mm case for comparison, glad to have your thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 53
Hi,

Looks like a cut down 75x350, I am also not aware of a shell case for 75 mm with that length. How about the weight compared to a normal 75x350? I ask this because there are many 37x94 fake cases made for tourists, and they are typically significantly lighter. If you look at the inside, is there a real primer?

The additional stamp "made in France" could be a marking for a souvenir.

Thanks Hoeksel, I understand were you are coming from in terms of a souvenir but the case is too complex for that. The Made in France does have me puzzled though! The weight is 1.225kg, against a 75x277 weight of 1.2kg and 1.325kg for the 75x350 so I would offer the weight is realistic for a true case. The primer is real and fired and follows the early Hotchkiss type. The rim is 91mm against 87mm for the French 75 so it is not a cut down example of that case. The pictures below show the headstamp from a 37x94 which had a model 1880 canister projectile in it. As you can see the basic headstamp is virtually identical, again leading to authenticity. For me the case represents far too much work for a souvenir item, especially as there were many 75 cases to hand!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi, I see you understand what I mean ;-). I agree with the added information it looks real. I checked for the rim, and there is a 75x331R91 Schneider-Canet case model 1900. Beyond that I do not know of a Frencg 75 mm case that comes close.

Hi Vasco, These are 2 pages of a Hotchkiss catalogue from 1900. Unfortunatly the catalogue doesn't mention the case lengths, only the overall length of the cartridges. But when one compares the length of the upper part of the shell with the case length, it could be your case.
Grtz,
greif

Attachments

• 75 mm hotchkiss1900 L-22.jpg
    75 mm hotchkiss1900 L-22.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 75 mm hotchkiss1900 L-26.jpg
    75 mm hotchkiss1900 L-26.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Sur la photo, un boîtier de 75 mm fabriqué par Hotchkiss, intéressant avec l'estampage Made in France. D'après la nature du poinçon, je soupçonnerais qu'il est antérieur à 1900 et probablement destiné à l'exportation. La longueur est de 297 mm, la jante de 91 mm et la bouche d'environ 75 mm avec quelques dommages. Sur la photo à côté d'un boîtier français de 75 mm à titre de comparaison, heureux d'avoir votre avis.

Hi Vasco de Gama. A munition "Hotchkiss 75 X 307R" exists . I think it is your case ,

regards