What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Wooden VB Grenade Box - Ever see one of these?

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Here is one of today's finds from the local Antique Mall. It is a storage and/or carrying box for the French Vivien-Bessiere Grenade. Cost was $32.

Granted it is a Post-war date, but I've never seen another and perhaps the box itself is carried over. This one was sent back home, as the address is on both sides and the bottom. Looks like from a fellow in a WW2 Signal Service Unit. Holds 48 VB Grenades.

Sorry for the quality of the photos, but it's snowing out and I'm keeping warm!

Thanks for looking!

- Best Regards! Mike

Attachments

• VB1.jpg
    VB1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 48
  • VB2.jpg
    VB2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 38
  • VB3.jpg
    VB3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 31
  • VB4.jpg
    VB4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
Hi Mike, Nice box. Never seen one before and was not aware there was an mle1923 VB Grenade. Interesting find..Dano

Hi Dano -

To tell the truth, neither was I. I'll admit to being puzzled by the notation. The VB boxes used during WW1 held 48 grenades, as will this one. I've searched and found nothing on a 1923 VB Model. Have to wonder if it relates to the date it was stenciled? Or, as I read the top perhaps it refers to the model of the box? Although I can't imagine the boxes were given Mle. numbers. It is quite crudely made!

- Best regards! Mike

Last edited:
My French is not the best, but I think it says "Box model 1923, for VB" (grenades) Tony.